Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veterinarian recommendation
Dr. Grune at Big Island Pet Care Center is great. They are located in HPP off Kaloli and 28th. He's a gem and the staff is outstanding! Can't go wrong there!! ALOHA!

I'd rather be a wise ass than a dumb ass!!!
We originally used East Hawaii when we moved here. A perfectly healthy dog suddenly developed a new aliment requiring surgery. Then she was diagnosed with diabetes and put on insulin, with dosages changing dramatically on every visit (and opinions differing depending on the vet seen...). When she went blind overnight, it took 3 days to get in to see a doc (and by this point we were seeing the vets on a regular basis and were on good terms with all staff...). When she started limping and stopped eating or drinking, the diagnosis changed daily (as, again, did the vet seeing her). On day 4, one of the vets prescribed an antibiotic that had her erupting violently at both ends before she died 12 hours later. When I called to inform EH that the dog had died, I was told "Thanks for calling, I'll inform the doctor." No return call, no note, no nothing... I'm not saying that EH did anything wrong in terms of care, but in retrospect, I wish I had bolted the minute I first doubted my confidence in them. The pet might still be gone, but I would not have the doubts that have lingered to this day.

We switched to Dr. Grune for our new pet, and while we've only had a couple of routine visits, we're really happy with he and his staff so far. All seem knowledgeable, caring and committed to our dog's good health, and the office seems to be efficiently run -- no large mob of pets waiting to be seen, and you actually get in at your appointment time, unlike EH, where I often waited an hour or more before being seen. And when you're in his exam room, you and your pet are clearly the main focus (unlike EH, where techs and vets were routinely running in and out of the room).

OK, end of rant...
Keaaurich - sorry to hear bout your pet. I took several animals to East Hawaii vet over the past 5+ years. I think I waited at least a half hour to be seen every single time. I didn't jump vets though - always went to Mina.

I had a really old dog that I had to put down at EH vet. They were very considerate, compassionate and caring during that process - which was brutal for me. But I had to wait in the room for over an hour with my dog wondering when they were going to come in and put him down.

Chastity in reception and Jeremy the vet tech really made EH a better place. I haven't been recently so not sure if they are still there.

There are a host of reasons to not be happy with EH - the long waits, the new male staff are rude, not to mention issues with Mina.

I've only been to Dr. Grune 3 times and was a little hesitant after visit #2 but think I will keep seeing him - even if he does seem a little high compared to EH because he & the office are so much friendlier.

My hesitancy came during the 2nd visit with my rottweiler that just died when he had to draw blood from my dog and he couldn't seem to get a vein. Took several tries for like 15 minutes on her paw and neck. It seemed like something that should have been easy to do and I was getting silently frustrated that my dog was having to endure the pain of multiple needle pokes. Fortunately for Dr. Grune and his staff my dog was exceedingly gentle and loving considering she was a 120 pound rottweiler.Never snapped or growled in pain. Because I've only been there a few times I don't know if the issue was the dog (her veins were hard to reach or something) or him. I'm willing to try him again to see how he is with my other pets.
African Gray parrot health woes improved once Dr. Versluys in Keaau treated our bird; she is healthy again now. Dr. Versluys and her staff were great with the parrot; very gentle, kind, and knowledgeable.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Mind-Boggling Scandinavian Strangeness In Space!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA5GkLM5C7M

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php