Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why to live in Puna
From Mountain View, we had to go to the emergency room. Decided to drive the extra 15 minutes to Kau to avoid a glut of patients potentially at Hilo. There was only 1 doctor and 1 patient. When the doctor became available about 5 minutes later, he walked out to the parking lot to find us and see how he could help. Rural hospitals Rock!
He missed on a few details but surely got the flavor. I arrived here 7 years ago (more or less) and still find it a wonderland to explore. I bit off a bit more than most with our ranch/farm but it has been a delight. I think the only people who are disappointed here find themselves stranded in an untenable economy, and that is just the luck of the draw. Job or not job.... if you need one, the deciding factor. Other than that, lots of plain folk on the Hilo side of the island. Rainbows are the most lovely I have ever seen. The HOH rainforest in Washington is incredible but I wouldn't want to live in it. Our rain forest here suits me fine. Having been to a few third world countries, I would say we are close but have a bit of a lifeline for the big stuff (at least so far). All in All... gotta love the Big Island.

Smile Pam

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Enjoyable read - interesting comments Smile

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Sounds like the lyrical tune of speculation to me...
Um...did you notice there was some recent volcanic activity?
Always gets me laughing when this stuff comes up!
being a commuter to the mainland these last few months - I can second the sentiment of the poster - we are fortunate to live in Puna

That last hour before landing always the longest - grin
I recently told a friend of mine, who has lived here for 30 years, that when I moved to Puna 4 years ago I thought the population was going to explode and real estate prices were going way up. He said that he thought the same thing when he moved here in the 70's.

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
We are still trying to figure that out.
I have lived in puna for about 23 years and I will never leave. This is my home and I enjoy every day of it here.

Donna
Donna
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

" Hawaii has its run-down, dirty, unsafe sections like the Bronx does."
Have you ever been to the Bronx

No, but my baby brother works in Watts, and there is no place in Puna that is even 1/100th as bad.

Viva la Puna!