Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Makuu Farm Lots?
Aloha all,
Last weekend, the Bear and I left the Makuu market via the cinder road out the back of the overflow parking lot. When we got to a paved road, we discovered that there is a nice area of several paved streets of large lots with county water, electric, and phone service. When we got home, we asked a neighbor what the area was called, and she told us she thought it was a Hawaiian Homelands project called Makuu Farm Lots.

I was surprised to hear this since I have always heard that the Hawaiian Homelands projects were waitlisted and only about half these lots had been built on. (Half is a guess since we didn't count them all.) We did notice that the lots were MUCH larger than other HH projects we have seen. Maybe they require real farming to live there. It could be so new they haven't all had time to build, I suppose.

Anybody know the story? All those amenities going unused seems like a waste.

Cheers,
Jerry

Edited by - JerryCarr on 03/03/2007 08:04:45
Jerry, These are farm lots (I think 3-5 ac. but the university tour I had was over a year ago, & my mind is getting more like a sieve than a vault, soo...) Some of the empty lots are farm fields, some are awaiting the leasee action, (with wait list of decades, when you are able to obtain a lease, you may have to rearrange your currrent life, this takes time) The Makuu Market was set up as a venue for the Farm Lots produce, so some of the venders do live &/or work in the farm lots, and are more than willing to explain.
Aloha, Carey

In the Department of Transportation "Report to the Governor", 2004:
"Construction of the $6.4 million widening and resurfacing of Keaau-Pahoa Road, Paradise Drive to Pahoa was substantially completed. The project resurfaced the roadway and constructed paved shoulders and improvements at five intersections along the Keaau-Pahoa Road. Also, a waterline for the Hawaiian Homelands Makuu Farmlots Subdivision was installed."

Not much else on the Web

Jerry, if you got to the highway through Kahakai than it's the Pahoa Agricultural Park. If you got to the highway through Kaluahine than it's the Makuu Farm Agricultural Lots.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

There are not many 50% blood Hawaiians who qualify for the house loans or are young enough to farm. There are tons of Hawaiians who are bellow the 50% blood quantum who could qualify for the loans and are young enough to farm who don't qualify because they don't meet the 50% blood quantum so that could be some of the problem too. There is a long waiting list for Hawaiian homes in general. Personally, I think they should drop the blood quantum because of the fact that, even if you are one drop of Hawaiian, and can trace your lineage here before 1778, you are Hawaiian.

Thanks to all who responded, I think I have a better understanding now. I already knew that some Native Hawaiians, especially on Oahu, wait almost a lifetime for a lease on HH lands. As usual, things are more complicated than a casual observer might think.

Cheers,
Jerry