Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news for the tourism industry
How is it that they burn twice the fuel? The article says this will save on fuel.

It's especially on the change of planes that the time will be saved, but then we still need to get a flight to the BI.
ITO calls itself "Hilo International Airport", has there ever been a scheduled international flight?
currently only 4 engine jets can do (certified for) the polar routes have been since the early 70's

the new rules extend the time for the newer 2 engine boeings to be away from an airport (etops) from 3 to 5 hrs

4 engine jets burn a lot of fuel, but fly well on 3 or even 2 engines if needed (there was a an issue with an airliner leaving lax I think it was for europe on three engines a while back - saved tons in hotel expenses got tons of bad press - grin)

777 and 787 twin jets burn much less, but its a little more touchy if one needs to have the good engine keep running for five hours to get you home. FAA just gave these new twins their 5 hr etops blessing

- expect an upgrade for the 737 etops to 5 hrs from 3 if they follow past trending... its all about how much the FAA trusts the engines and track records.....
When I read this, I was more excited at the idea of me going to Europe than thinking of the tourist wave, but it's all good. [Smile]

That would be great. I've only done the flight once from Hawai'i, and it was an ordeal that dropped me in Dublin completely exhausted, even taking a one day layover on the west coast. Of course I was flying economy, and I expect I always will be.

I remember flying over Greenland back in the 90's and how beautiful and unreal it looked. I wonder if the pole is that much better scenery?

I would love to go back over there on a direct flight. I have the FF miles for Star Alliance, now all I need is money for the visit. [Wink] Will United or other SA be able to implement this route?

Oh, and thanks you guys for motivating me to look up ETOPS. I had never heard of it, and found the history very interesting.
I'm hoping maybe a British Air or Air France non-stop. Can't Hawaiians 767's with the extended fuel tanks make it from here to London? They fly 11 hours to Manila non-stop!