Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
speeding ticket
VancouverIsland,
Good for you to be listening and reading to all this, because things here are going to be very different, and once you are here, people absolutely hate hearing about how things were where you used to live. You pretty much have to be quiet about it if you want people to like you (except when talking to people with similar background).

Bumpersticker "this is not the mainland" says a whole lot. This state has made the decision it doesn't want speed on the roads above 55 mph. At all. Whether or not I like it (and I do like going 65 when it feels right).

I agree with pog here:
quote:
As for POSTED signs being "speed traps" ... LOL.
It's not a trap if you have a reasonable opportunity to slow down. They can raise it and lower it and raise it ... and we have to do the dance.

It is not a TRAP for police to pick spots where people routinely break the speed laws. The people have free will whether or not to drive lawfully. Do I wish there were more officers driving in traffic and busting people for outrageous driving instead of the sit with the radar gun tactic? yes I do, it does make me mad the stuff people get away with that creates dangerous situations on the roads.

And people need to wear seat belts all the time and not think of it as optional.
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Bumpersticker "this is not the mainland" says a whole lot. This state has made the decision it doesn't want speed on the roads above 55 mph. At all. Whether or not I like it (and I do like going 65 when it feels right).
OTOH, they've decided that they're fine with having multiply-convicted DUI offenders on the road.
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Transplants >>> Don't you ever notice how friendly and courteous drivers are on the roads here ???
Uh...seriously??? No, I don't. I see a lot of drivers passing every car they can doing 75 down Highway 11, weaving drunkenly at all hours, passing four cars in one go on a blind hill, etc., etc. On the flip side, some are so deferential that they come close to causing accidents at four-way stop signs by not going when it's their turn.

Hawaii has some of the worst drivers I've seen, except for Philadelphia (absolutely the worst anywhere, at least in the US). People complain about Boston drivers, but they're actually good at dangerous driving.
Better to say you were watching the road, not the dial. "Blowing the carbon out" is not a defense listed in Hawaii Revised Statues, last time I checked.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler
I see a lot of drivers passing every car they can doing 75 down Highway 11, weaving drunkenly at all hours, passing four cars in one go on a blind hill, etc., etc. On the flip side, some are so deferential that they come close to causing accidents at four-way stop signs by not going when it's their turn.

Hawaii has some of the worst drivers I've seen, except for Philadelphia (absolutely the worst anywhere, at least in the US).
Agreed, but I find drivers in Hilo town to be very courteous. Going to Pahoa or Volcano, not so much, The "open road" seems to bring out the worst in them. Very few understand the concept of slower traffic keep right, which makes Hilo to Kea'au maddening. People on this island don't understand how to merge lanes either.

But yes, they will yield the right of way in Hilo even when you don't want them to, you just want them to take their turn and go.

Mahalo though to people who let others into the road when they don't have to. I try to do the same, but not so much that I make the drivers behind me mad.
seat belts???? i dont need no stinking seat belts!!!peace