Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swimming pool contractor
I have a friend in HPP who wants to build a gunite pool in their back yard pretty quick and they can't seem to find a licensed and bonded contractor. Anyone have any good references/experiences using an islandwide pool contractor they're willing to share? Or maybe should she look statewide?
I have heard good things about Paradise Pools in HPP as builders, but I don't know if they do gunite. They did a great job on some catchment work I had, but I have no personal experience with their pool construction. Always get several references!
I quit making pools last year, opting instead to concentrate on our ferrocement water tanks www.pacificgunite.com . I have been directing pool inquiries to my son Tyson who owns Akamai Pools http://www.agpoolsplus.com/ . He does nice work but forget about your friend being in a hurry. The planning department lost his recent SMA application for an ocean front pool in HPP. Three months later it turned up and now it finally goes to the building department. Another pool permit that he picked up last week took him almost 3 months to get through just the building department. We call this Hawaiian Time. What's your hurry? You'll still want to swim in a year from now...Kind of makes it hard to run a business.
Thanks Peter. I will foward the information to them. The reason its in a hurry is its a rental property close to the ocean and rental properties seem to get booked for longer periods of time with a pool. But your right... Our building department sucks big time. No wonder so many people build unpermitted structures.
Mike at Paradise Pools has been in the game for so long I can't believe he isn't able to cut through some of the bull and get your friend squared away sooner rather than later.

Other than pools, my experience with trying to hire qualified help there is one of those, 'don't get me started' deals.
Call me crazy, but it shouldn't take longer to get the permit than it does to complete the project...
Our friends finally signed a contract for a new pool. But they went with Captain Cook pools over in Kona because the building department in kona takes about 3 weeks to get a permit. The building department in Hilo takes 2 to 3 months. Also the contractor has a home on the Kenai in Alaska and thats where our friends are from. Go figure! They didn't tell me the total price they payed..... Anyone have an idea what a 15ft by 20 ft gunite pool would cost in lower HPP?
Probably enough to keep me in good beer until I no longer care Smile

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Same could be said if you were drinking while waiting too yeah ? : )

aloha,
pog
A magnificently constructed swimming pool is a dream to all.Swimming pools are simple to install, easy to maintain,economical to run,fit easily in new or existing spaces indoors or outside, and are so handsome they can become a showplace in your home.However once you have decided to construct a pool, there are so many thoughts that walk in randomly.
Owning a swimming pool is an investment in both time and money.I'm thinking of investing in an Endless Pool and situating it in our garage.This information will be helpful for me.thanks everyone...

Quentin
"All is well"
http://www.poolfactoryonline.com/