Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senior Learning Center in Pahoa - old Firehouse
From another topic, "Pahoa's New Senior Center Opening Sunday" under this forum, people may have have already learned that the old Pahoa Firehouse will become a Senior Learning Center.

That December 12 event/open house was the first time I and a lot of others got to see inside the building.

I would like to use this topic as a means of keeping people updated on the progress of Center's becoming a real viable place, as well as hoping some DISCUSSION here will heighten awareness and maybe even spill over to areas outside this forum.

As of now there are a great number interested in this place becoming functional. Most of them, myself included, want to have a hand in what goes on there.

My own interest is in getting ongoing Computer Classes scheduled (I hope to teach them) and in expanding that to cover other aspects of this place becoming a resource for Seniors using computers.

Seniors under the Parks and Recreation definition means 55 and older.
Of course only a few who frequent Punaweb qualify as Senior.

When will the Center open?
Once upon a time political statements suggested it could happen before the end of this December. That alone should have warned people that it won't be anytime soon. From the groups, discussions, meetings, that I have been informed of, it looks like it will be lucky to occur before June. <-MY OPINION!

That should tick off a lot of people and maybe there will be enough of them complaining to the mayor, Parks and Recreation, and their councilman to actually get the thing open REALLY no later than June.

That's enough typing for now. I will see what REPLY interest occurs before blathering on some more.
Good luck in getting it up and going. It does sound like a worthwhile activity. Our Senior Center here in Chewelah WA is not very active. Twice a month potlucks, Wed. night card party. It's been difficult to get participation in other activities. Our county library district offers computer classes. Our senior budget is too small for doing much, if it is not member generated. We tried craft and games after the potluck. No takers. I guess our seniors have too much to do! The Senior Board of Directors is, on the other hand, very busy. We oversee the club and its building, the 48 unit low income apartments, and our local food bank.

Life goes on, with you or without you.
Peace and long life
Grand opening of the Senior Center in Pahoa is this morning at 10:00 a.m. I will be there accompanying the Puna Men's Chorus on uke. Lots of other great entertainment as well.
Happy to see this come online. Our seniors deserve a multi activity center. I understand there will be computers and classes available.

Toby Hazel has been a big proponent of this. Congratulations. A number of contractors have donated efforts too. Mahalo to them all.
Councilman Fred Blas has been supportive and connective as well.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
My Mom used to love her meetings at the Community Center. This makes me think of her and how much she would enjoy the fun today. What a wonderful, worthy thing this is...thanks to everyone who was connected in giving these lovely people their very own place to socialize!

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Is there a web site to see what activities are going on? Big frowny face from me that apparently I am officially a senior. But hey, I'll take advantage if there's something interesting going on!
Senior here, too and I'm proud of it! I don't know how I missed the news of the Grand Opening but am pleased to hear about it.

The community I moved from had a very active senior center with daily lunches, weekly events with games and/or dancing. Even had a small food bank and a senior bus that could pick up those who couldn't drive.

They also had a greenhouse that grew lots of fresh veggies.

They offered square-dance lessons, free programs for stretching and exercise. The center was very well rounded with activities for the mind, the body and general health education. Also, volunteers were available at scheduled times to help with Medicare sign-up and with income taxes.
Perhaps it was so busy because of all the different services they offered.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Finally, our seniors have a place to go. Hopefully, with a building and activities that interest them they will no longer be hanging out in front of the bank selling drugs and annoying citizens. (sarcasm alert!)
That made me laugh right out loud, Greg! Big Grin

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

Carrie Rojo

LOL, Greg. I HOPE it doesn't turn out that way. You may not be that far off with the truth!
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.