Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELCO president at Akebono TONIGHT
Sorry for this last minute notice, but received this today, and know some of you have questions!

"HELCO President Jay Ignacio will speak about electricity concerns, sustainability and renewable energy at 6 p.m., Tuesday, July 31, 2012 at the Rotary Club Of Pahoa Sunset at Akebono Theate"
Thank you, Carey.

Can someone ask him about the RFP for 50MG and when it's coming out? Or, are they going to delay it due to the latest concern(s) about ORMAT/PGV on both the local and federal level?

Second question, since the existing contract with ORMAT/PGV is tied to oil, and ORMAT/PGV would not renegotiate (HELCO was willing, per Ignacio) how about discounts for non-profits like the Food Bank? For God's sake, their electric bill is higher than the lease rent!

Sure hope he addresses the old grid, and what the plan is to deal with it. Maybe an update on the Hualalai geothermal plan would be good to ask him about.

He surely will address what HELCO is doing about the solar installations for residences and the exorbitant costs to obtain approval. Why does the Council have to "suggest" HELCO change their solar policies?

I'm certain he'll do a good job for his company. (Dripping with sarcasm).

PGV has three PPA with HELCO to the best of my knowledge:

25MW avoided cost PPA that expires in 2027
5MW PPA, which was renegotiated from avoided cost to fixed pricing
8MW fixed price PPA

The RFP for 50MW is for the Kona side and went out quite awhile ago with about 10 companies responding, last notice I saw. It will probably be awarded next year. Then, there will be exploration for about a year. Exploration does not require an EIS, exploratory drilling does. The plant won't start construction until 2014 with completion around 2018.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*