Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
building in Volcano!
Aloha everyone! I am new to this forum. Nice to meet you. I just bought a half an acre in Volcono and I had some questions I thought someone might be able to help me out with. I was wondering what everyone does for septic and electric? Do you need a ohana permit to build a duplex? Many other questions....but if there is anyone who can just tell me a little about the area in general and set my feet in the right direction I would really appreciate it. My wife and I plan to go there in January and are trying to gather as much info before we get there.
Mahalo!

Welcome PJ and family! Volcano is a lovely little town. A great winery, art galleries, quilting shop, lovely B&B's, Kilauea Lodge is old and has a historic fireplace, and of course there is Volcano National Park. Just down the road toward Hilo on the right hand side around mile marker 20 on Hwy 11 is an orchid grower with a grand display area that caters to Bus Tours and locals. There are people on this forum living all over the Puna district. Some off mile marker 19, 17, some in Glenwood, Fern Acres, , Eden Roc Estates and Orchid land Estates down by Pahoa, all over.

As for your questions regarding electricity in your particular spot I would hope your Realtor could answer that. Some people live off grid and use solar and gas generators. Perhaps someone can answer your question about duplex permits or check google for building codes/permits Hawaii. Sorry I do not find the link in my favorites.

I would suggest you order a ready map from Gecko Farms www.geckofarms.com for the East Side, Also a tour book called Hawaii The Big Island Revealed thru Amazon is full of local info.

Good luck to you! January is just around the corner no!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
under an acre will require a septic tank, last cost i heard was around $5000. as far as electric just call helco and give them yout tmk# and they can tell you exactly what it will cost to hook up.

Thank you guys for the responses!

PJ Where is you property? We are in MLE in Volcano on 1/2 acre.We built a little over a year ago and did need to put in a septic tank. There was not a pole for electric so Helco had to put one in and I think if we compleated the house within 1 year we did not have to pay the $5000 for the pole.I love the area and have met some really nice people here. There are a lot of B&B in the area.It is much cooler up here usually 10-20 degrees coller than Hilo and Mt. View I can't ansewer about duplex.Any other questions?