Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LCD TV/monitor repair needed
I have a 4 year old Samsung 46" LCD HD smart TV/monitor. Experiencing issues with start up, as in not loading/starting when powered up. Sometimes up to 10-12 times try before video/audio available.
Anyone have recommendations for local, reliable, reasonable, available repair person?
Purchased through Sears....of course it is out of warranty and did not purchase extended warranty...I called this morning...'do you have a warranty/extended warranty?'...me..."no"....Sears.....'call 1 800 469 4663' click (nice!/not!!).
Mahalo for your help.
I haven't seen a TV repair place in....30 years?
This won't sound helpful, but my brother works for Sony and he said they design tv's to last for about 5 years. Your money may be better spent getting a new one unfortunately. the bright spot is they have come way down in price the one we bought for 1000 40 inch about a year and a half ago is now 400.
I got a 47" from sears for 350 on sale. Normally it was 400 ... even at 400 I think it was a very good deal. 350 was a steal. Tho, this was before taxes. I also am a costco member and picked up a 4 year extended warranty for 30 bucks. Sears wanted 100 bucks for 3 years or something like that.
quote:
Originally posted by Nalu

This won't sound helpful, but my brother works for Sony and he said they design tv's to last for about 5 years. Your money may be better spent getting a new one unfortunately. the bright spot is they have come way down in price the one we bought for 1000 40 inch about a year and a half ago is now 400.

5 years is about right for most people. At about 3 years they start itching for something bigger, better resolution, 3D capable... then they go to their friend's house and see their new model and "have to get one bigger". Personally I was using an old CRT model from the 90's until just recently. From back when they made them to last.
If it has a USB port maybe a driver update from Samsung might fix it since it does work after rebooting many times?

I had a similar problem with a Sanyo TV, and it was fine after I updated the drivers, they were loaded on a thumb drive and just plugged in to the TV from the Sanyo web site. Worked the first time, maybe Samsung does the same.[:p]

Rick
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
This might sound elitist, but: don't buy consumer-grade crap.

My previous mainland TV setup included a 27" studio Trinitron. It wasn't cheap, but it was indestructible, and the picture was absolutely beautiful; the montor would converge all the way to 4MHz, with real 9300K color. I miss that tube.

Current TV rig features an older flatpanel with DCDi by Farouja; I've had this display for over 15 years without any issues, and the picture quality is better than anything in the stores today.

Modern stuff suffers from massive "spec inflation", and often looks like crap, even at "low" resolution 720p. Unfortunately, the "race to the bottom" has displaced honest vendors of real product, so it's become nearly impossible to find any quality.
quote:
...'call 1 800 469 4663' click (nice!/not!!).
Mahalo for your help.

That is the number for Sear's repair.If you called the store they could only help you if it was new and under warranty.

I have had Sear's repair work on one of my televisions several times.

What is the model number of your TV? I can give you an idea of cost for repair if you post the model number.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

This might sound elitist, but: don't buy consumer-grade crap.

My previous mainland TV setup included a 27" studio Trinitron. It wasn't cheap, but it was indestructible, and the picture was absolutely beautiful; the montor would converge all the way to 4MHz, with real 9300K color. I miss that tube.

Current TV rig features an older flatpanel with DCDi by Farouja; I've had this display for over 15 years without any issues, and the picture quality is better than anything in the stores today.

Modern stuff suffers from massive "spec inflation", and often looks like crap, even at "low" resolution 720p. Unfortunately, the "race to the bottom" has displaced honest vendors of real product, so it's become nearly impossible to find any quality.

Most people don't want to spend the money on "quality" stuff when the Next Big Thing hasn't been released to the market yet.

While I agree with you in principle, I'm also wondering if you clung to your betamax unit when all of the studios stopped releasing movies in betamax in favor of VHS? Hopefully you didn't rush out and buy an iPhone5 Smile
Betamax is technologically superior to VHS, that part of the format wars was lost to marketing.

The biggest "next big things" were: DVD over tape, and "digital"/"HD" broadcast (including satellite/cable). Subsequent technologies are not as much of an improvement, and definitely aren't as good a value, especially when you factor the "overhead" of things like key revocation, "protected path", and compatibility.

Seriously: most people can't tell the difference between a DVD and a BluRay, especially when the "46-inch class" "1080 class" display is doing such a crappy job. That same "most people" don't have (or aren't willing to spend) the money on a home theatre system that will really take advantage of the BluRay. And yet the marketing people are pushing BluRay as the "next big thing"... notice how quickly they started including "free digital copy" (a DVD) in the BluRay package?