Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telcom Streaming video
Telcom told me I had plenty of download speed so I assumed the reason I could no longer stream video was because of my computer. After installing ideo card and a $55 repair bill bill, I still cannot receive un-buffering video. Telcom then tolme the truth, "There's not enough 'copper' out in the Pahoa area because too many subscribers are on the service. I said I might as well go back to dial up. They said if you give up myccount Iwon't be able to get it back when the problem (if ever) is fixed. I'm thinking of adding Internet to Dish account and save $30 a month. editorterry@aol.com

Terry Chambers
Terry Chambers
quote:
Originally posted by editorterry

Telcom told me I had plenty of download speed so I assumed the reason I could no longer stream video was because of my computer. After installing ideo card and a $55 repair bill bill, I still cannot receive un-buffering video. Telcom then tolme the truth, "There's not enough 'copper' out in the Pahoa area because too many subscribers are on the service. I said I might as well go back to dial up. They said if you give up myccount Iwon't be able to get it back when the problem (if ever) is fixed. I'm thinking of adding Internet to Dish account and save $30 a month. editorterry@aol.com

Terry Chambers

Don't give it up. Here in Orchidland they haven't been offering internet service for years. One has to wait for somebody to move or die and then be the first caller that day trying to get service. There are dozens of people who call every day trying to win the Orchidland internet lottery.
try this: http://www.speedtest.net/

I usually start by connecting a laptop to the provider (right at the modem) supplied modem (telco) to get a reference

Then I install the routers, wireless etc & connect the laptop and check the speed.

More than once I've blamed the provider only to find I'd been just a little to creative with the hookups etc

hope this helps

There is other Internet service providers out there, such as Aloha Broadband and Oceanic Time Warner Cable. Both of these providers would provide far superior service versus getting service through Dish Network. Satellite Internet access is much slower than your current ISP, or the providers listed above.

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S

There is other Internet service providers out there, such as Aloha Broadband and Oceanic Time Warner Cable. Both of these providers would provide far superior service versus getting service through Dish Network. Satellite Internet access is much slower than your current ISP, or the providers listed above.

Maybe, maybe not. No Aloha broadband nor Oceanic time warner in Orchidland. Don't know about Pahoa.
Well, I know Aloha Broadband is not available in beaches but I doubt anyone would sign up because road runner is faster. Hawaiian Tel sucks. They don't care about service. I've had them and was not impressed. I don't know why anyone would want a land line or DLS if you have good cell service. You can do better than hawaiian tel.

Using amazon or netflix? Sometimes it's the streaming service that is bogged down and not the your ISP. If Youtube can buffer lengthy vids it's either your computer or streaming servers. You need enough unused ram and hard drive space for streaming.
"I don't know why anyone would want a land line or DLS if you have good cell service."

$10/GB is why.
Yeah, Hawaiian Tel does suck. Besides being slow it's flaky, often dropping out for most of the day (usually on days when I want to work from home instead of driving in to Hilo). Cell service is fine if you're in an unwired place, but as terracore says it's expensive.
yeah I know but we all have to accept our poisons ... And figure out what works. What good is DSL when it's not working? At least cell service you can send that email or look up an address ... I'd rather be connected than sitting around waiting for the internet to connect.

It's why I choose beaches Road Runner works for the most part that is when albezia trees aren't dropping on the lines.
Problem with "rural" DSL is limited bandwidth out of the remote: you and all your neighbors have 3Mb/s (or 1.7Mb/s), but you're fighting for a piece of the 12Mb that's available to your subdivision.

If you have DSL "in town" (meaning "directly to the switch") the uplink is usually in the hundreds of Mb, so plenty to go around.

The irony of Telcom whining about declining revenue due to lost customers is left as an exercise for the reader.