Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Albizzia Tree
I have an accepted offer on a lot in HPP, but it has a big Albizzia Tree. Does anyone know the going rate to remove one of these and a reliable company that can do it?
Aloha,
David

I can't suggest a rate but I have been very happy with Treeworks on more than one occasion.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Congratulations on your new property!

We're about to fly out to do the same (possibly in HPP). Exciting!

So, what street did you end up on? And what led you to finally choose HPP?

Jimmy
Another alternative is to simply girdle the tree. It'll be dead in about a year and come down one limb at a time.

Does girdling work on ironwoods? I've heard that cesuarinas are very hard to kill.

Girdle at your own risk and be ready to assume any and all liability if it doesn't work according to the one branch at a time theory and caused damage. A neighbor girdled a 100 footer. When it came down in a wind, it was in one piece. A 100 foot long piece. The Gods were smiling because it fell in the only direction it possibly could have without taking out either a house or some power-lines. It was amazing to see. I wanted to have the people tell me what the next winning lottery numbers were going to be.

Unless I knew by measuring that an Albizzia could not possibly hit anything or anyone, I'd never ever girdle one.

our subdivision had 15 albecia trees(huge ones)cut down for $13,000, it's expensive, maybe find someone who used to log and have them cut it down.

Da. You girdle a tree to kill it and thereby stop it's seed production, and growth from reaching a height such that when it does come down, it doesn't land on an unintented target. Having gotten permission from the owner, I went next door to the undeveloped lot and girdled about a half dozen of them before they got big enough to reach my place. End of problem and free.

quote:
Does girdling work on ironwoods? I've heard that cesuarinas are very hard to kill.

Paraphrased from the Permacopia Book III: Ironwood (there are about 4-5 Casuarina sp. in the Islands) is hearty and is very tolerant of salty conditions. I don't know how effective girdling is with them. They spread primarily by their long-viable seeds and root suckers. Cut stumps will also resprout. They shade out other vegetation and use up a lot of nutrients in the soil.