Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friend drowned at Kehena Beach

I had heard stories about people drowning at Kehena Beach in the past. A friend of mine that I had met at chess Tuesdays at the Pahoa Village Museum about a year ago drowned on January 6th there. I didn't know till last Saturday at our Big Island Chees Club meeting at the Pahoa Neighborhood Facility, when Jim Lee, the club organizer, mentioned it. His name was Eric Dietz, but I always knew him as Arrow. He never told me his real name, and I kidded him once about him being in the witness protection progarm.
I scanned the internet about this and that's how I learned his real name. He had come here shortly after I did, and I think he was from Wisconsin, and had been through a divorce there. He was 29 years young. The articles I read said he had jumped into the water to help someone else in trouble. I assume that person was able to make it out of the water. This was during a stormy weekend too, and there were wave warnings and the water was very rough. I remember one of the owners of my Gym, Aloha Fittness, had told me about two good sized boats that were overturned in Hilo Bay that weekend.
Anyway, "Arrow"/Eric, was a nice young man, and I always enjoyed his company whether we were at the chess club, or when In ran into him at the Makuu Market, or Keaau Market. Here is a copy of an article about it:

Eric Dietz aka “Eroz” and “Arrows”

Eric T. Dietz, 29, who has no permanent address, was last seen in the waters off Kehena Beach in Lower Puna shortly before 2:40 p.m. Sunday (January 6). He apparently was experiencing difficulties in returning to shore amid the rough ocean conditions. A body boarder managed to get within reach of Dietz but then lost sight of him after he himself was caught in the rough surf before returning to shore safely.

Dietz is also known as “Eroz” and “Arrows.” He is described as Caucasian, about 5-foot-11, about 150 pounds with hazel eyes, brown hair and facial hair. He also has a multi-colored tattoo on his upper right arm that depicts a bird, a spider and a tortoise shell.

Police ask that anyone with information on this case or who knows his whereabouts call the Police Department’s non-emergency line at 935-3311 or Detective Joel Field at 961-2381. Detective Field may also be reached by email at jfield@co.hawaii.hi.us.

Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at 961-8300 in Hilo or 329-8181 in Kona and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000. Crime Stoppers is a volunteer program run by ordinary citizens who want to keep their community safe. Crime Stoppers doesn’t record calls or subscribe to caller ID. All Crime Stoppers information is kept confidential.

Somehow I am not surprised that he lost his life trying to help someone else. As it says, they never recovered his body.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Sad story, sounds like a good man.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
there was a small memorial the following week after he drowned but Im not sure its still in place now??? (I have pics of it)... I hope they make a permanent one up on the small pali there for Arrow and Manu (who also drowned 1st week of year in 2009)
I met Arrow's dad the Sunday after, he seemed to accept it and was all love and hugs and wanted to talk with anyone and everyone who knew his son... you can tell he was loved by many
sad they never found his body....

aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha