Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man Contracts 'Rat Lungworm Disease' in Hawaii
I spray my fruits and veggies with a spray bottle full of vinegar. I no longer live in fear.

I do go out of my way to kill any slugs I see I even occasionally walk a circuit around the cleared area of my property to exterminate any I find. I generally pick up a piece of cinder place on top of slug and then slam my shoe down onto it.

Death to the slugs!
We wash our water. It goes through a 20 micron filter, then a 5 micron filter, then through a UV sterilization unit, and then a combination filter/carbon unit.

Slugs love beer so much they drown in it. Put a bowl into the ground (so that there is no lip) and pour some cheap beer into it. You can use expensive imported beer but the slugs don't know the difference. All the slugs in the area are drawn to the beer like the Germans or Irish. They crawl into it and drown.
Lol terracore your posts always read with a ring of comedic value, I love reading your stuff. And thanks for the tips on the beer bowl.

I use a similar method for the fruit flies in the garden.

Cut a bottle in half, fill with red wine vinegar and hang from a tree/something with a hangar.

Pretty soon you'll have fruit fly soup ... They can't get enough of the red wine vinegar... My first few tries at tomatoes on the big island were failures but now I've got some promise! Hope nobody (bugs) else finds them.
See the link above for extensive information on rat lungworm. Here are some highlights:
-rat lungworm is carried by rats and all slugs, all snails and some mollusks in Hawaii
-killing the slug doesn't necessarily kill the microscopic rat lungworm nematodes that live inside the slugs. So, if you wash your greens in vinegar, it won't necessarily rid them of rat lungworm
-reducing rat populations around the garden can reduce the population of rat lungworm in the slugs. The rat lungworm must have rats and slugs to complete its life cycle.
-While rare, not everyone recovers from it. I know of one woman who went into a coma 4 years ago and is living in a persistent vegatative state today. Others have also been permanently disabled or significantly affected.