Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excavation contract
I am considering the building of a home. Can anyone tell me what one should do in terms of the excavator contract because I read here somewhere that tractors have fallen into lava tubes. Are there any dangers, or recommendations which you might advise a person looking to hire a bulldozer or excavator?

Yes, I am aware of the need for land preservation, and am seeking to minimize impact to land.

I am simply thinking way ahead.

Mahalo.
A neighbor down the street from me had his excavator fall into a lava tube. Luckily no one was hurt. They had another dozer pull out the first one...it was trashed.

Not sure of the financial repercussions of this scenario, but this DOES happen. This was several years ago and I haven't seen anyone out there for a while, but he did post a ridiculous amount of "danger" and "no tresspassing" signs. I know parcels are dozed everyday on the island without incident. So consider that happening accordingly.

Heres to your success in building.

Might want to check out the building forum another sub forum on punaweb.

Aloha mai kakou
I wonder how much a ground-penetrating radar rig costs?

Would make for an awesome specialty surveyor service, mapping the lot for natural features like "best place for housepad", etc.
There was a recent show--"Lava Chasers" or something like that on the Weather Channel, I think--where Sheldon was walking in front of the dozer to "feel" for lava tubes. I think they knew there was a hole, and he was feeling the vibrations of the rock--or something like that.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>