Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road Runner Speed Update
I presume you have a DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem that is still getting power boost, which inflates the download speeds. This is why you are seeing 20Mbps instead of 15Mbps.

I've spoken to Oceanic time and again. The standard tier will be 15Mbps statewide in the next few weeks. The 20Mbps tier costs 20.00 more a month.
They pushed the Road Runner infrastructure improvements up another week. It was supposed to around May 15th, but it won't happen until the week of May 20th. It will take about 1-2 weeks before they upgrade the standard speed tier to 15Mbps, at least in Kona. Oceanic has to do additional upgrades on the Hilo side, so there isn't a set schedule yet.
Anyone else having intermittent connection drops the last few days? It only lasts a few minutes, but often several times a day. The last time Road Runner upgraded this happened as well, but when I called they denied it until a day before they fixed it. Thought it would be easier to get an answer here than from their "customer service." I'm in HPP, near the ocean. Thanks.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Oceanic will be doing improvements to the CMTS (headend), etc starting today through May 23rd, so be prepared for possible interruptions in service over the next two + weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S

I presume you have a DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem that is still getting power boost, which inflates the download speeds. This is why you are seeing 20Mbps instead of 15Mbps.
I do have a 2.0 modem, but right now I'm simultaneously downloading 6 files from Adobe (making sure I have backups for when they cut off all their customers in a few weeks), and it's averaging 1800KB/s total (=15Mbps), but often gets up to 2400KB/s (=20Mbps). Since it would only get up to 900KB/s with a single file, there's presumably some throttling on their end as well, so it looks like 20Mbps is the real max speed.