Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
termites?
O.K I have NO experience with Termites...but I'm thinkin the "holes" in the knotty pine must be them....if ya catch them early, can ya just spray into the holes and get rid of em??? Probably not....any ideas??
Get someone like Terminix in there. I heard if you spot treat you can just chase them in another direction. Contract for drywood termites with Terminix is reasonable compared to replacing roof.
I pay $150. a year. If they miss finding them with yearly inspection...they fix the damage. Living here it is not a matter of if you'll have them, but when. Small price to live here. We found them in a brand new house, less than two yrs old. Good luck.
buy a can termout. No reason you can't DIY and save some $$$.

Only real guarantee is tenting your home every 6-7 years.
BEI sells a termite spray that can spot treat small areas, which is what I would do for a while until the termite dust piles get bigger. It is a gamble, but tenting is quite expensive & only kills what is in the house on the day it is tented.

I just got my house tented by Bowman, $1500. Very professional & on time. Standard 2 year guarantee for retreat. I put off the tenting for about a year w/ no major damage - meaning I didn't have to repair or replace anything. Get several estimates & references. Friends have had Akamai & Terminix & were dissatisfied, e.g. damage & Akamai not getting all the infestation. My house has 3 skylights that are in an old delicate condition & Bowman really was careful. Before tenting, all companies have you sign a waiver about damage.
Akamai has covered both our homes for years now with no problems...
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
Dory, that is a very good price for tenting. How many sq feet is your house? thanks.
Just had my home done. $1500 1700sqft. 18 month retent warranty. Next 18 month spot treat.
We are going to get a whole house treatment for termites. Has anyone used the Akamai orange oil treatment? What results did you have?

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
quote:
Originally posted by DoryGray

Friends have had Akamai & Terminix & were dissatisfied, e.g. damage & Akamai not getting all the infestation.

Yes, I had an estimate from Akamai & their salesperson mistook fire ants for termite poop. Poor training. My close friends used Akamai & their house is still infested & Akamai is balking at returning & retreating so many times. I was extremely satisfied w/ Bowman (& I'm picky). Also I have no personal gain or friends working at any of the above mentioned companies.

Julie: 1800 sq. ft.