Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crime Wave
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

I go to court and judge gives the people in front of me fines for DUI, driving with no license, etc fines of $100 to $250.

I got $500 fine. I said right to the judge "so its okay to drink and drive without a license as long as you have insurance?" Judge threatened to raise it to $1000. I shut my mouth but clear example of not fair application of laws and fines.

Doesn't surprise me. It's shocking how unserious DUI is taken here, even for the very few who get caught. I remember an article in the T-H a few months ago about a guy about to be sent to jail, for the first time, after his 14th DUI, pleading with the judge for a "second chance". Unbelievable. Most other states, at least a second conviction is a mandatory week in jail if not the first.
quote:

I said right to the judge "so its okay to drink and drive without a license as long as you have insurance?"

This is actually 100% correct: having insurance is the most important thing, doesn't matter if you're DUI or driving a stolen car with a revoked license, as long as you have insurance.

Tip: Progressive will issue a policy even if you have no license, and their premiums -- while expensive -- are cheaper than a night in jail + impound/storage fees.
quote:

I got $500 fine. I said right to the judge "so its okay to drink and drive without a license as long as you have insurance?" Judge threatened to raise it to $1000.

Many years ago, I was at the waianae court for a speeding ticket. There were like 5 or so people that were there for no insurance tickets... Everyone of them got 1K dollar fines! I couldn't believe it! So you did get lucky for a 500 dollar fine. That cop was an asshole to give you a ticket for that ... it's one of the most expensive tickets you can get. What's worse is there are MANY MANY people driving around without it.
"...Everyone of them got 1K dollar fines!..."
"...What's worse is there are MANY MANY people driving around without it..."

Says something for the effectiveness of the law/fines doesn't it?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
"Says something for the effectiveness of the law/fines doesn't it?"

sure does! It seems like this island is having a 'everything hits at once' period. With the new influx of residents it's becoming more apparent that nearly all aspects of local government need overhauls!

It's time for some new blood in the county jobs, I want to see progress not stagnation or flat out decline/regression.

I hear malama da aina and care for our keiki all the time, but actions speak louder than words.
Community: Police are looking for three suspects involved in a robbery that occurred in the Leilani Estates Subdivision.

Hawai´i Police Department
Criminal Investigation Section, Area I
Captain Robert Wagner
Phone: 961-2251
Report No. C13019638

Media Release

Big Island police are looking for three suspects involved in a robbery that occurred in the Leilani Estates Subdivision in the Puna District on Wednesday night (July 24).

The victim, a 56-year-old female, reported that three individuals who were invited to her home, used force against her and removed several items from within. The suspects left the residence operating a white Ford Mustang, unknown license plates.

Two of the suspects have been identified as being Mark McCurley, M-30, of a Hawaiian Beaches address, and Kawika Kahee, M-30, of a Black Sand Subdivision address in the Puna District.

Anyone with information regarding these individuals, or the whereabouts of the vehicle involved is asked to contact Detective Derek Morimoto at 961-2380 or email dmorimoto@co.hawaii.hi.us. Callers can also notify police dispatch by calling 935-3311.

Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at 961-8300 in Hilo or 329-8181 in Kona and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000. Crime Stoppers is a volunteer program run by ordinary citizens who want to keep their community safe. Crime Stoppers doesn’t record calls or subscribe to caller ID. All Crime Stoppers information is kept confidential.

They just keep coming.....
Well now, since the above individuals have yet to apprehended, we cannot discuss the merits (or lack there of) of their bail amount...
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
I think the fine for no insurance is an automatic $2000 now. It used to be $500 about 30 years ago. It was always high because insurance used to cost a lot more before. Many people were paying over $1000 a year just for basic no fault. It's only in the last decade or so with competition from GEICO and others that cost has come down.
Here's another. This time it's shots fired during a Hawaiian Acres trespassing incident:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...=217202541