Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spay/Neuter
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon Woodsmoke...

The big problem I can see with TNR, is that feral cats are a huge nuisance. So what if released cats keep new cats from entering the area? The local resident cats are still killing birds, crapping in vegetable gardens, climbing all over cars, screaming at night, and spaying horrid smelling urine on decks and doorways....

You forgot eating mice and rats.

When Kitty died we did have a increase in mice and rat infestation in storage areas until the current colony of feral cats moved in.

I like the alternative of the hysterectomy/vasectomy with TNR - that does seem to have merit. They can still hunt mice and keep other cats away and shoot blanks to their heart's content.

Oregon WoodSmoke. I'll agree with that! Let's get started!

I think more people would spend $ on that fix than TNR. Basically TDAHS (trap drop at humane society) I'd say probably 90% of all cats turned in to HS get terminated.

Sad I know but more effective than release.
So Ericlp, have you ever tried this method? LOL

We have tried this method. (Catch and take to KHS to euthanize.)

In theory, it would seem possible. In reality, it doesnt seem to work.

Take 6 in, 6 more show up. Take that bunch in, and more just show up. etc etc etc. With TNR, we had to do it once and it was good for a few years.

We had the KHS trap for so long (3 months) that we returned it and went and bought our own (from Del's $35). I think they only have one or two at most. Now if you try to get it, it is out on loan. But you can check all the time, and catch that day one is brought back.

Personally it would be great if all pet owners were responsible.
Personally it would be great if all pet owners were responsible. -- You're living in a dream world. --

Any reason to WHY TNR worked better than taking to HS? Maybe cats just are smarter after they get trapped the first time or... Your were just on the verge of getting rid of ALL of them and semi broke the cycle. I only have a few now but of course I've seen a few more from over that way and a few more there so... It will probably take me 15 or so before I see a dent in the population. My problem is if my neighbor saw me trapping her cats she would go BALLISTIC. I know a few of them but I'm not sure about the others. Even if I 'knowingly' catch one I'd probably take it in anyway since it would just be back over again and again.

Mind you none of her cats or the cats in my area have collars. I guess I'd feel a bit strange taking a cat in with a color or tags. I don't want to be mean to anyone around here but if I talked to them for sure they would be the first ones over if cats ended up missing.
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp...

Any reason to WHY TNR worked better than taking to HS?... Maybe cats just are smarter after they get trapped the first time or... Your were just on the verge of getting rid of ALL of them and semi broke the cycle. I only have a few now but of course I've seen a few more from over that way and a few more there so... It will probably take me 15 or so before I see a dent in the population. My problem is if my neighbor saw me trapping her cats she would go BALLISTIC.

LOL. Seriously.

At that time, we took over 30 cats in to KHS to euthanize. DId not make a dent. Read about TNR. Tried it. Worked better than my weekly or daily hauling of cats. Getting a colony neutered seemed to keep the population at 2-3 cats plus our ferocious house cat setting her boundaries. Mice and rat population in jungle near us stayed away from the perimeter of our house. Everybody was happy.

We also took our neighbor's cat by accident but saw collar before we dropped it off. We brought it back and it NEVER came in our yard again.

Now as I wrote before, the combo of methods worked for us. May not for you. But I also work and cant spend 9-4:30 hauling cats all day every day. And that is what it would take in our neighborhood.

But feel free my friend to try it. What works for you works for you.

And yes in my perfect dream world, we wouldnt have to do this. Thats why it is called a "dream". I dont live there but I wish I could when it comes to cats.
As long as anecdotal evidence carries so much weight in this controversy how about this: A good friend's cat disappeared. A coupe of years later he got a call from the Humane society. They had his cat. Seems like the HS is the way to go.
I believe when you take them to KHS for the TNR they check for chips.

Gonna confirm it today when I drop off a few cats.
Maui is dealing with a feral chicken and cat problem. http://www.staradvertiser.com/newspremiu...=222938951

No solution yet, but it criticizes spay and release.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
The KHS is excellent. Get an animal from them and not a breeder. It was "2 for 1" week last week, and maybe they'll extend it to this week if you ask. Don't know.