Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H-130 backup today - sep 5
sorry dp
They should make a special lane for hybrids with big island love stickers, also small fuel efficient SUVs with the same stickers. Pretty sure that would help.
quote:
Originally posted by ericlp

You can just sleep on the bus and not get all bent out of shape

Instead of a Diamond Lane, they could mark Moon & Star Lanes on the side of the road. Pull over, and nap for an hour while the traffic clears. You'd get home almost as fast.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

They should make a special lane for hybrids with big island love stickers, also small fuel efficient SUVs with the same stickers. Pretty sure that would help.

I do think it is somewhat of a oxymoron for the above to have 1 person in a car. Think about it.

I do not have any of the above but 90% of the time if I go to Hilo, there are 2 or more people in the car. Share a ride folks. It is fun to have company and you do learn new things such as stopping at the Asian market by Helco. What a great store. Drove past it a lot, never stopped until one of my co-riders needed to stop.

Now if only I could afford a new hybrid SUV with a big island love sticker I'd have it going on.
"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me."
-Dudley Field Malone
I wish our community was better suited to carpooling and that the bus worked better for my commute, there is now a stop right at the end of my street. I would love to have someone to share gas costs with, but not too many people want to be in downtown Hilo between 6 and 7 every morning, and even fewer then are willing to wait until I am done with all my meetings to head home between 5 and 6 most days. The actual number of cars on the road aren't really the problem in terms of these traffic jams, they are almost always caused by accidents and once that road gets locked up it takes forever to clear it up.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Another accident by the dump? Boy that intersection is becoming really dangerous!
Thank you, Carol, for describing what happened. I thought the backup was likely due to an accident but saw no evidence of it later on but as I said it was dark. It might also explain why the DoT truck pulled into the transfer station with its lights flashing - lots of free papaya!

Laughing Girl - our own organisation looked at car pooling a while back while we still had several staff living in Puna. It turned out to be completely impracticable. Everyone had different schedules and many had schedules that varied day to day and often at the last minute, so no way could we come up with a scheme that worked. Personally, I'd be happy to give someone a ride to Hilo and back as long as they knew the ride to Hilo might get them there any time between 6am or noon and the ride back could be between 5pm and midnight - sometimes later. In general, there are no massive employers in Hilo and Puna is very large, so getting people to car pool on a regular basis between the two places at regular times is almost impossible.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK...

Laughing Girl - our own organisation looked at car pooling a while back while we still had several staff living in Puna. It turned out to be completely impracticable. Everyone had different schedules and many had schedules that varied day to day and often at the last minute, so no way could we come up with a scheme that worked. Personally, I'd be happy to give someone a ride to Hilo and back as long as they knew the ride to Hilo might get them there any time between 6am or noon and the ride back could be between 5pm and midnight - sometimes later. In general, there are no massive employers in Hilo and Puna is very large, so getting people to car pool on a regular basis between the two places at regular times is almost impossible.

Yes, we are a group of people on somewhat fixed incomes and work from home or retired. We also do not go to Hilo everyday, usually 2 days a week so it does make it easier. After 3 years of doing it which originally was just to save gas money, we have come to enjoy our trips together. We are better now at getting everyone's errands better organized.