Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about mangoes?
Oh great! Good to know! I'll look for this type if I ever decide to plant one. Mahalo
I live on 5th street in HPP. I planted a Hayden Mango 24 years ago and it is now 30 feet tall and about the same wide. It produces tons of delicious sweet mango's. But only when the conditions are right (which doesn't seem to be the case alot of the time). We've had 4 huge harvests in 24 years. The rest of the time its usually only a few here and there....or none at all.
I'm on 30th in HPP. There is a huge mango tree right on the property line which in the nine years I've been here has never flowered or fruited. I'd love to have a producing mango but never bothered to try since my one example seems good only for shade. Will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with a consistently producing species for this area of Puna - I'd plant one.

Today is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be, enjoy this day!
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
good to hear they do plant them there, cause I love em!

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
We are clearing brush and happened upon 3 mango trees. One was overtaken by a "weedtree" that we took down- and now have a nice round canopy mango tree- that looks about 30 yrs old. One of the other trees is almost dead with just a few areas of growth at the tops of branches. Another tree is a baby and I'll let that one grow. I was thinking of chopping down the one tree that is almost dead. What can I do to improve the health/possibly fruiting of the other two trees. I'm up high here in Piihonua. Probably at about 1,000 ft. Can an old tree be made to fruit, if it never has before? thanks.
The Hilo Arboretum on Kilauea is free and open to the public weekdays, people with a State of Hawaii ID card can pick a small bag of fruit for personal consumption every day if they like. There are maybe 20 or 30 mango trees there but many are large and have high hanging fruit, and most of the varieties are not labeled even though most of the trees planted were probably named varieties.

If you pick fallen fruit off the ground beware of the little wiggly orange bugs that wiggle around inside the fruit and yes they do taste terrible. They tend to proliferate later in each mango's particular season.

Carrie is right about choosing Anthracnose resistant varieties for the windward side of Hawaii. I wouldn't bother to plant a seedling variety because you never know what you may (or may not) harvest many years down the line. Better to spend a few bucks upfront as a long term investment and keep in mind that mango trees come in a wide variety of mature sizes and growth habits.

Some people sell posters of Big Island Mangoes. Here's a link to 2 of them, but beware that not all these mangoes produce well in the wet:
http://www.fruitlovers.com/MangoPosterHawaii.jpg
http://thesoupblog.com/wp-content/upload...Poster.jpg

I did not know about the arboretum. I only know about the one at UH. I will try and go to the one on Kilauea. thanks!
Can you stick a good mango from a good bearing mango tree in Puna in the ground and end up with a good bearing mango tree?
Plant It Hawaii grafts mango branches onto root stock...not sure if the mangoes are like citrus, where there are better root stock varieties & better trees varieties & to get the best of both you graft...

Do know that there are bearing mangoes in Hilo (above Rainbow falls is a mango jungle), of course Mango Rd, in Puna... & various friends lots throughout Hilo (even one tree near HELCO), HPP, Kurtistown, Mountainview...not sure how much higher...but sure someone will post...