Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starlapse: James Clerk Maxwell Telescope
Gypsy, check out the SOPHIA, a NASA converted 747 that takes infrared photos as it flies as high as possible. It's freezing up there and the staff braves the low temps to get fabulous images of galaxies. Impressive.
I always loved your photos from the top. So beautiful.

quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Incidentally, I don't often toot my own horn, but for those that read the "Astronomy" magazine, one of my photos will be published there soon.

https://flic.kr/p/a3dzwP

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
There are several great videos on Youtube of the Mauna Kea observatories. The most awesome are the time lapse during the whole night, it looks like Star Wars up there. Really something to see the Universe rotate around the static center which is our Earth and made specifically for our observation and entertainment, the only semi-intelligent lifeform in existence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zclfWUvbiCg

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Thanks punatic007, great reading material with some amazing photos. Projects like Sophia should be encouraged more in the future, so we can stop developing and leaving the permanent man made scars and eye sores on the top of our most beautiful mountains. Sophia, Being mobile With a variety of different missions or angles possible to take photos from is quite impressive.
Fantastic work Tom, bravo! On a side note, Imiloa Center in Hilo has free admission this Sunday. Show your support by bringing your Ohana and tip the jar heavily to keep funding going here.

Community begins with Aloha
Thank you Tink, Radiopeg and Kenney. RP, I remember our discussions in the past about summit photos with fondness! Kenney, you raise a very interesting point. There is definitely a shift in astronomy funding these days. It seems Asian countries realise the importance of funding pure science in order to attract more youngsters to study STEM subjects while this approach has taken a backward step in the west.

The EAO is in its very early stages in Hawaii but the partner countries are basing their model on the European Southern Observatory (ESO) where funding from several counties makes large projects more feasible. Personally, I'm not a great fan of ESO, the structure is rigid and inflexible, but no doubt it has been successful.

As to UKIRT, the funding is coming from NASA with the University of Arizona operating the telescope. Fortunately for me, this means I don't have to learn Chinese, at least not yet (EAO have expressed an interest in running UKIRT in the future), but I have been practising my fast draw and wearing a nice cowboy hat. As long as they don't decide to rename it The Wyatt Earp Telescope, I'm happy!
The Joint Astronomy Centre ceased to exist 15 minutes ago. Wow. Hard to believe it's actually happened after so many decades.