Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much to get your hands on some Jackfruit?
Either in the stores or at the farmers markets what do you guys pay for Jackfruit? Is it in season all year long out there? Been a long time since we've been able to get a hold of any.

We end up composting ours, they are way too huge for just 2 people to bother messing with, and they are messy to cut up.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Ya they are a bit messy, we always coat our cutting board and knife with a cooking oil to make cleanup a little easier. I was hoping they might be a bit cheaper out there where they grow. What did you end up paying for your messy fruit when you got it?
I've found the best use is to throw it on the ground as hard as you can so that it burst into a huge sticky mess. The chickens love it! They swarm it like cake and clean up every last bit. But they have a hard time getting into it if you don't burst it for them. Also very healthy for the chicken diet.
FREE usually

like said above... Jakfruit are huge (largest fruit in the world)

we usually have connections at gatherings and am 'forced' to take a chunk home when available (along with a shirt full of avos or mangoes, rambutans, sapotes, etc.)

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
I believe they are the biggest fruit in the world Smile

Sometimes we could buy half or quarter sections, but usually were just sold as whole and uncut. I Can't remember the pounds of the last one I got (it was big though) but I paid nearly $30.00 for it so it was probably close to $1.00 pound. Was hoping someone here could remember a price they saw or paid at a farmers market for one.
I have several growing, one a HUGE one. I can't wait to weigh it. If anyone wants a section I'm happy to share.

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Ours are about 2 feet long and a good foot in diameter, they come from the tree on our place, one of the few heavily producing fruits we have, except for some really exotic fruits used in Filipino pickles. The people who built our house planted all kinds of fruit, but virtually nothing is anything you would actually want to eat, no citrus, no bananas, not even papaya or mango.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb