Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum Wage Jobs
I've read lots of posts regarding the bleak outlook on jobs on the big island but was wondering how easy it would be to get a minimum wage job in the meantime while you were trying to find something better. I'm sure Hilo has it's share of fast food and dish washing jobs, is there anything else that would be easy to get while waiting for a better job to open up?

The bleak outlook for jobs on the Big Island "was for minimum wage jobs". Good paying jobs are non-existent!
I think that the "job offerer" can get, will be getting, workers cheap for a very long time.
There's a good-paying job available for everyone who brings their own.

If you're an "outsider", that good-paying job is still available ... just takes 3-5 years to establish yourself sufficiently to be considered.

I guess it depends on what you consider a good paying job. Some people's definition would be 50K, some $75K and some much less. So I guess it depends on your perspective. Someone who is unemployed and looking for anytime of work might consider $30K a good paying job.

I know that Oceanic in Hilo just hired about 20 people at somewhere around $16 an hour starting pay to answer phones. Doesn't seem too bad of pay to me to answer phones. It doesn't require any type of specialized skills or training. My understanding is they are about to hire another 8 - 12.

Again, I think it depends on your definition of a good paying job and your specific situation. Me personally, I consider anyone who is making $50K or more a year very fortunate. So I guess my definition of a good paying job is $50K plus.
I've been looking for work for almost 2 years now, applied to over 75 jobs and haven't gotten a single response yet! Granted I havn't tried applying at McDonalds quite yet! I had a good job as a design engineer on the mainland and I don't think minimum wage employers here bother with people that just want something temporary until they find better?
There are jobs available to those who can pass a drug test !!
Obie where are these jobs you write about?

jrw
jrw

Maybe they are drug testing jobs ?[Wink]
according to the fed unemployment on the big island is slightly more than 6% .... and dropping - the labor market looking better than it has in a while

The same tide lifting all the boats in the harbor as far as wage levels is what they used to teach - supply and demand.

edit /added as to food service minimum wage crummy jobs......

I see folks working in a food service job - really applying themselves and going the extra mile to make sure my cup of coffee is the way I want it ....if I were hiring - un ethical or not - they would be the individuals that would receive a business card on my next pass.... or at least a decent tip.

thats the way it often works - beats watching oprah and peoples court in my book....