Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advanced Wireless Systems (AWS)
If you think 350.00 is bad Beachboy, LavaNet
charges over 1,500 for similar T1 service.

http://www.lava.net/sales/frame

quote:
quote:
Everything is relative Adam!

at $350.00 a month!!! Who can afford that in their home? Besides, price tag hardly justifies the service in my opinion. I'd rather go back to dialup before I'd pay $350.00 a month for my internet!My friends all know how much I despise dialup too!!! Hell, I thought Oceanic was "price gouging",charging $50.00 a month!

Beachboy -
As I stated in an earlier reply in this string...This is a business package that includes up to 7 telephone lines and 1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps utilizing dynamic bandwidth allocation. My point was that Pacific LightNet offers true dedicated service vs. the shared services you get from DSL and Cable. Regardless of the posted speeds, you still have shared services...meaning that these services will be over-subscribed.

We're not "price gouging". If you run a business from your home...you'd appreciate the reliability.

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman
"Vote with your money!"
quote:
If you think 350.00 is bad Beachboy, LavaNet
charges over 1,500 for similar T1 service.

http://www.lava.net/sales/frame

How many Rockstars live on the Big Island? They are the only people I know that would allow themselves to be hosed at these prices...oh and maybe a few CEO's too!?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
quote:

We're not "price gouging". If you run a business from your home...you'd appreciate the reliability.

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman

sorry Aaron, but to me it price gouging! I read some years back that with all this fiber optic around, the prices should drop considerably, not go the other way!?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Beachboy, did you check out how much LavaNet
charges for T-1 service. If you did not, they charge $1,500 for one. So 350.00 is not that bad.

As for fiber-optics being all around, its not as prevalent here, like on the mainland. Most
of the interisland and cross island transport is fiber. But the last mile is still copper.

Plus since we live in a island state, there is much fewer over builders here than other areas. Even they have to share capacity with Hawaiian Telcom on island (with the exception being Sandwich Isles Communications).

Thanks to telcom/cable companies and lobbyists (and with too much government meddling)is why the United States is stuck in the broadband dark ages.

Edited by - Aaron S on 08/21/2007 13:18:24

Edited by - Aaron S on 08/21/2007 13:22:07
Living here in the S. Fl swamp, I'm lucky if I get 1.3mb from Bell South dsl (now AT&T, once again). Nothing higher is offered in my area. I can't get cable. It's obviously not better everywhere on the mainland.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I pay around 68 bucks for Hawaiian Tels Local Bundle. I get a Basic Phone Line with 3 options (I took call waiting, 3 way calling, Caller ID) The plan includes Unlimited Long Distance, and DSL.

My DSL speeds are always at least
Down = 2619 kb/s
Up = 717 kb/s

Seems like a fair deal to me Smile
Beau S.

So back to my original topic....

AWS charges $49.99/mo
From what I can remember they have a T1 or multiple T1 lines that are being shared. I was told I should expect 300 kbps to 1.5 mbps.
Installation runs $99 to $499, depending on how high they have to put the antenna to catch the signal.
There is an access point off of Pa Alii in RHE so it sounds like I should be able to get a signal. I have a site survey scheduled for the 4th so I'll know more then. For now it sounds like my best (only) option.