Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advanced Wireless Systems (AWS)
I have seen a lot of great posts referring to wireless internet providers. I have checked all the websites and it seems AWS is the only one that possibly serves my area. I'm in Royal Hawaiian Estates and have confirmed no availability of cable or DSL. At this point, wireless is my only real option. Dialup is out of the question and sattelite would by my absolute last option. I am well aware of the cellular options available having been working in that industry for the last 8 years. It's not bad but the speeds in that area are still limited unless you're in Hilo. Also, the uplink wouldn't work for what I need (VOIP and online gaming thru Xbox).

My real question is, does anybody have experience with AWS or know anybody who does? It doesn't appear Coconut Wireless or the others service up that far. I appreciate any feedback, as I depend on the internet heavily in my everyday life. Thanks.

Adam -

My name is Bill and I work for PAcific LightNet Communications. I can provide Broadband via T1. (1.544Mbps Down and Up)

Call me after Flossie does her thing.
965-5100.
Mahalo!

"Vote with your money!"
Isn't T1 a pretty expensive solution for regular residential use?

Everything is relative Adam!

"Vote with your money!"
Well how much is T-1 service from PLNI ?
LavaNet charges 1,500 for a T1 (Not including the local loop charges).

http://www.lava.net/sales/frame

Yes everything may be relative, but from what I've seen T1 can cost several hundred dollars or more each month. I'm not running a business or anything like that. Just me and my wife surfing, talking on Vonage, and playing Xbox online.

I'd like to add to Aaron's question about pricing. Is the cost reduced much for fractional T1? Also, what kind of setup fees?

I love my internet, but I'm just a regular middle class Joe Schmo. I am really only budgeting double figures monthly for internet, not triple, and most certainly not quadruple. If you have something that could fit in that category I'm very interested. T1 would definitely fit my speed needs, though I really only require something like 300+ kbps down and up.

One of my clients on the mainland has just gotten the new Rev-A wireless data cards for his field laptops through Verizon. He says they are literally broadband speed. Just an option, if you have decent Verizon coverage.
Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.
Adam and Aaron -
I offer a T1 package that delivers both voice (up to 7 phone lines and yes, you can keep your existing phone numbers) and Broadband here on the Big Island for less than $350/month. Expensive? Not in relation to what you see at LavaNet. This is really a business package solution, however, I see more and more "residential" customers utilizing this services. The up side to this type of service is that T1 doesn't have the distance limitations associated to DSL and the "can't get Cable TV on my street" issues associated with Road Runner.

"Vote with your money!"
Two questions does the 350.00 include the local loop charges from Hawaiian Telcom.
Also is there a service level agreement
where you are guaranteed T-1 grade service.

In other words if you don't consistently get
1.5Mbps/1.5Mbps service, you get a credit.

I use a sprint mobile broadband card supplied thru my work, if I have full signal speed is about 2500 to 3000. If the signal strength drops speed drops off quickly.

Before I was able to get DSL at home I had a wireless setup and the best I ever got was 500.

Scott