Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer of love
I was born in '68, so I was fortunate in that I was able to absorb all of the music that was happening while growing up. Over the last few years, I was lucky enough to have had the opportunity to play with Living Colour, Average White Band, War, Maceo Parker, and many others.

I have just loved reading this thread. Myself, I was just a little too young for some of those concerts but saw quite a few Grateful Dead concerts in the early 70's - including "the double rainbow/Here comes sunshine" concert in Des Moines, Iowa. Thanks for the link to You Tube, Beachboy - I was able to find quite a few Dead tunes to watch. Ahh, how strange to feel old and young at the same time!

OK, how can I not respond to this thread? Beatles, 1964, Cow Palace in San Francisco: all screaming and camera flashes and craziness, The Doors at a roller rink in Santa Clara: the mayor banned them after Morrison’s performance (like they cared!), Pink Floyd at Winterland in SF, 1972: close enough to see David Gilmour’s arm muscles ripple as he played the guitar. “Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun”, “Echoes”, a tantalizing taste of “Dark Side”, “Tubular Bells”? Yes. Mike Oldfield. Another guitar great.

Hundreds of groups over the years, but I miss Janis the most. I cry when I remember her performances of “Ball and Chain” and “Summertime.” No singer since then has ever moved me like she did. I often wish I could time-travel back to one of her shows so I could share the experience with my husband who never saw her live.

Hi Erlinda -
You motivated me to look for this and I enjoyed it. Here is Janis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzNEgcqWDG4

Thanks for the link, Sherylr. I have never seen that particular performance before.

Cheers,
Jerry

quote:
Hi Erlinda -
You motivated me to look for this and I enjoyed it. Here is Janis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzNEgcqWDG4

Well, that previous reply was an "oops!" I wanted to say mahalo to sherylr for that clip. Janis was beautiful!

What a fun thread! What great memories; I must share a few: First concert it '66 was a Grateful Dead Concert at Fillmore West in SF; Only about 300 people dancing around and walked right up to the front of the stage!

Every weekend after that for a few years. Family Dog/Avalon Ballroom, WINTERLAND!! Saw Janice at the Carousel ballroom.

Saw Traffic and Cream, Ginger Baker was astounding then Blind Faith. The Airplane, Quicksilver Albert King, The Chambers Brothers at Stanford Amphitheatre, Albert King in lots of places on the peninsula Sty, Ike and Tina. Wow too many to list, this was back when you could get to the front of the stage without getting crushed.

But the Dead! and there is nothing like a Grateful Dead Concert!

Further...

Daniel - so true, so true! Once in Iowa City we got to the Dead concert about 6 hours early. In those days you could just walk in th stadium ahead of time so we did -we checked out the place they were going to be playing. Phil Lesh was just sitting on the stage tuning up or checking sound and we walked up and he just started talking with us - like the real person he is. It was so cool. I never enjoyed concerts like Dead Concerts - everyone became a part of the experience. Well, enough reminiscing for tonight. Happy holiday weekend......!