Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flying altitude
Seems there are some who believe the minimum altitude for helis is 500'. There are FAA "GENERAL" rules to follow, however outside the general rules, we have laws that have been passed making flying under 1000' for "****s and giggles" illegal.

FAA Flight Standards in Oahu says unless probable cause exists, no MJ hunting under 1000'. Call them. Call the flight tower in Hilo. Call the MJ complaint number. The man I talked to says the same thing as the flight tower and FAA Flight Standards.

1000' minimum for ariel searching. Under 1000' if probable cause exists. Under 500' for the ACTIVE RECOVERY of MJ plants.

These are the rules here in Hawaii. The "probable cause" is where we get screwed.

Rules are for those who can't afford it -- tourists and Green Harvest have plenty of cash.
There is no enforcement, and even with photo documentation, nothing is done. I have stated in previous posts
"IF you have very good pictures, you could send an email to the Hawaii airports FAA compliance guy in Honolulu, Henry Bruckner(gotta say,, so far nothing has changed, but maybe if EVERYONE sends high quality photos to him, something may... his email is:
henry.p.bruckner@hawaii.gov

Good luck! I found no resolution, but maybe if more call & email...MAYBE it might matter

Henry & Linda are small aircraft owners, and I happen to have all of the FAA info on their AVIONS MUDRY ET CIE CAP 10B 2 seater (it really is amazing all of what you CAN get on-line, but still the helicopters go right over the Keaau schools!) Maybe sending the complaints to HIS address may change things...I dunno, am almost ready to put the listed address up here.."

But have really no faith that anything will ever be done...Have seen & photographed low flying helio's that Henry Bruckner speculated "look like military" flying right over the 5 schools in Keaau...nothing was done... nexzt day they were back & low...right over the schools!
The thing is, 1000' is really not that high up. For reference, it's about the height of Waipio lookout above the valley floor. It's well within the range of causing discomfort.
quote:
Originally posted by islandlvng

Seems there are some who believe the minimum altitude for helis is 500'. There are FAA "GENERAL" rules to follow, however outside the general rules, we have laws that have been passed making flying under 1000' for "****s and giggles" illegal.

FAA Flight Standards in Oahu says unless probable cause exists, no MJ hunting under 1000'. Call them. Call the flight tower in Hilo. Call the MJ complaint number. The man I talked to says the same thing as the flight tower and FAA Flight Standards.

1000' minimum for ariel searching. Under 1000' if probable cause exists. Under 500' for the ACTIVE RECOVERY of MJ plants.

These are the rules here in Hawaii. The "probable cause" is where we get screwed.

Military interdiction doesn't follow county and state government rules, they follow federal rules. The military interdiction flights may not conclude with fast rope eradication efforts, they may provide surveillance to other agencies.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I still say they should charge every tourist a "10 dollar noise subdivision fee" - that should be funneled directly into the road funds of the various subdivisions they fly over.
I remember suggesting a "noise abatement surcharge" ... and probably was not the first to do so.

Note that while military "can" claim martial exemption, doing to makes them fully liable for any damages caused; if they ask for (and receive) clearance from the FAA control tower, they're considered to be "under permission".