Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article in March Penthouse about Puna
quote:
Originally posted by dakine
I find it interesting that people who come to Puna and say they appreciate the rural lifestyle etc., go and tell everyone they can think of to come on over and join 'em.. which in essence is replacing rural with suburban.. and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down anytime soon. Urban anyone?

The suburban growth is being exaggerated. All of Hawaii island only had 800 new HELCO accounts over two years. This means about 400 new HELCO accounts per year. This is taking into account the massive amount of people that don't own, are renting, and move around on the island quite a bit. Past statistics have shown 7,000 people move to Hawaii island per year but about 6,000 leave.

The growth of the past two years is going to slow down quickly. The main reason is the cost of transportation -- for everything. Oil was trying to achieve a stable price of $100 per barrel. It has gone past that and $105 to $110 per barrel of oil is going to be the standard, with fluctuations upward. This means gas prices will rise, shipping costs will rise, jet travel costs will rise, food prices will rise. Already, the Hawaii tourist board is noting a decrease in the number of tourists and a decrease of 4% spent by tourists.

While it may seem like more people coming into Puna, watch and see how many stay. There is a huge amount of turnover here.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Yeah but the higher the population the cheaper the cost of shipping will get.

Anyway, great article but I think he is putting some of the people he is writing about at risk. Describing how they look and where they sell, kind of sketchy. Hopfully he fudged a little bit on the details for the sake of the people he is writing about. Because you know pot smoking readers are going to go right to the spots he is talking about and obviously the authorities will as well.
Derrick,

Your joking right? Just come to Hawaiian Beaches and walk down any of the streets. You can get an ounce for around 120/140 anytime anyplace.

I am sure you can get the same deals just walking down Pahoa.
Yeah I know, but he is mentioning specific people. I always think the authorities will turn a blind eye until something is blown up like that then they get some pressure to do something, but maybe not, like I said hopefully not. But, you know, I am clearly new to Puna. I have a home there but I don't live there yet and my mother just moved to Hilo recently from Oahu. So I don't know if the police or feds ever actually do anything about that kind of thing. I know in New York where I am right now it is decriminalized to the point that you can have up to an ounce on your person as long as it is concealed. And if you do have it out in the open it's just a fine unless you fit a certain race and age profile then you get taken in for an indefinite amount of time. I could fit that profile so I carry that perspective but generally speaking you can smoke outside. You just can't be to flamboyant about it.I tend to think journalists can be insensitive about those kind of things sometimes, but it was a good article and makes me dream about how good the weed can get out there. Can't wait to dig into that. I can't wait to be out there in general ...*sigh*... It is a long process when you are on a budget.
I honestly don't think the article will have an effect on anything . I just stumbled on it . The guy that posted it probably had to dig for it. Do you really think cops read penthouse ? Had I not mentioned it ....none of us would even know about it . So I think the secret is pretty safe.
Yes I am sure some cops look at penthouse. Whether they read it or not IDK. What you think they are a bunch of celibate monks?

I'm not worried that much guys but I am just saying journalists can be pretty irresponsible. Good article anyway.
quote:
Originally posted by Derrick Barnicoat

Yes I am sure some cops look at penthouse. Whether they read it or not IDK. What you think they are a bunch of celibate monks?

I'm not worried that much guys but I am just saying journalists can be pretty irresponsible. Good article anyway.

No not monks...I just think with the internet no one looks at Penthouse and Playboy . At least no one I know....except the person I got the mag from.
quote:
Originally posted by MoScrilla

I just think with the internet no one looks at Penthouse and Playboy . At least no one I know....except the person I got the mag from.
And Punaweb? Nobody reads internet forums either? As in if they didn't know about it before they do now... ever since you posted it
In general, when a journalist writes an article about people slightly outside the law, or rebels, or even celebrities who want to keep their vacation home's location a secret, the details that would allow anyone to find them are left out, or altered slightly. You don't need a real name, or exact location to convey a story with accuracy.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
In reading the article, it seemed pretty obvious to me what the location is and most people I know, also know about the drug sales that occur at that triangle. It isn't a secret by any means and I am sure the police know it as well.