Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inter-Island airfares
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Really this is criminal by both the state and airline. This has been an allowed monopoly for big dollar exchange for years now(J.M.O). So let me get this strait, OR give an example. To take my family of 7 to Oahu for a day at the Malls for shopping, or a day at Pearl harbor for a little education will cost us $2,500 at least in airfare alone.

Makes me wonder how our elders or folks with serious medical conditions that are having to stay on Oahu ever have VISITORS. The families are just torn apart at the most important times of need for the sick or old. No way I could expect my wife or kids to fly back and forth for my future sick ---. Most of you do know that if your lucky enough to survive this islands jungle molds, rats, and roads to reach a ripe old age for disease or organ failure you will have to be flown to and stay on Oahu for treatment?.

Before I derail this topic any further let me remind you state tax payers that we have already paid millions for cheaper inter-island travel with the enormous fully paid super ferry that should be helping inter-island traveling by now?. Now millions more tax dollars will go towards Oahu's future rail transportation while outer islanders traveling rates only increase. where is the KAMAINA for the pioneers of Hawaii?. Sorry for the derailing concerns or the misspelling of Kamaina I haven't seen the word in a while to recognize it anymore.

I hear you and I agree the expense of inter island travel is ridiculous, but you are making the Big Island seem like a death trap that only the lucky can survive. It is true that we all will die one day, some way or another, but you should probably be informed that life expectancy on the Big Island is among the longest in the state.

So if you are reading this page because you are curious about moving to Puna, don't fret, you won't get mauled by jungle rats the moment you step off the plane and people drive 35 mph on the highway and are very considerate when you put on a turn signal unlike any other place I have lived before.

Anyway, yeah Hawai'i is not going to kill you, back to topic, they should make the super ferry a giant sailboat, like a clipper ship or a tall ship.

Oh wait we aren't talking about the super ferry are we....?
Seems like it wasn't too long ago there was a thread on here bidding good riddance to Go!.

Hawaiian has only started testing the waters. Wait until they realize the full potential of their monopoly.

In other news, Island Air has been regularly offering one-way fares in the $50 range, however they pulled out of the Big Island market some time ago. I have heard rumors that they intend to come back once they solve their aircraft maintenance problems, but Ellison seems fickle in this regard.
I just took the Maui Lanai Ferry from Lahaina to Manele Bay, Lanai yesterday for the day for only $25 each way, nice boat ride, saw lots of dolphins. Sure wish the Hawaii Superferry would come back! I know Mufi's talking about, just a way to get votes imo.

Used HA miles to go to Maui, actually was on Maui, Lanai, Oahu and back to Big Island in last three days. I remember 30 years ago we could buy a coupon book of ten interisland flights for $250, $25 per flight.
(Sorry for this derail)
PLEASE... if you state there was a requirement for an EIS...

PLEASE know what you are referring to... I have attached the Hawaii OEQC page that breaks down the trigger requirements both by HEPA & NEPA for EAs & EIS submission...
http://oeqc.doh.hawaii.gov/Shared%20Docu...20HEPA.pdf

Although the harbors/ports have been covered, boats/ships have not been included in either

Add: Think of all of the boats that are in our states waters...and the fact that the technology onboard the Superferry is used in many other states...

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

folks with serious medical conditions that are having to stay on Oahu

At least airfare would explain why HMSA quoted me $500/month for coverage.

millions more tax dollars will go towards Oahu's future rail transportation

Except those are Federal dollars, which appear magically from outside the State or County budgets (despite being funded by the same citizens).

we have already paid millions for cheaper inter-island travel

US taxpayers paid billions for universal broadband internet that we're not getting.

Closer to home, we're $20M in debt for a park that might someday be built in Pahoa.

I have blue cross HMSA. We pay more than that for healthcare and that doesn't include any airfare for services needed outside of the big island.

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
I have blue cross HMSA. We pay more than that for healthcare and that doesn't include any airfare for services needed outside of the big island.

Nothing wrong with USian healthcare, right? Best in the world.