Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill
quote:
Originally posted by fishenjim

You wont tick me off rainy. I know most grains that are gmo are dwarfed. I know that the gene that makes the stalk short makes the root shallow. I know that most topsoil is depleted. I have been watching corn and wheat grow my whole life, Ive seen it then ive seen it now. I know venison is way better for you than feedlot beef and I know why. That being said I am not that person who has to be right. I am no scientist. I am A pretty good researcher. I can debate both sides of most subjects , much better verbally than written though.I do know some history and messing with mother nature,mostly a bad idea. I am always interested in knowing how I am wrong and never ashamed of being wrong. please rainy always feel free to correct me really.Im no troll I just like a good debate and you have to admit there is alot to debate on this subject

Not really, if the one person thinks they know what they don't know. You claim your first few sentences are fact, and there is no scientific data supporting your claims. Stubbornly sticking to a personal view and opinion while claiming to be informed of factual information to the contrary is contradictory and not amenable to debate.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by fishenjim

I know most grains that are gmo are dwarfed. I know that the gene that makes the stalk short makes the root shallow. I know that most topsoil is depleted. I have been watching corn and wheat grow my whole life, Ive seen it then ive seen it now.

If you have been watching corn grow all your life, you would know a little more about how far it has advanced.

Yep, that GMO corn they use for ethanol sure is dwarfed. Hits over 8 feet tall and has 2 ears per stalk, 10-14 inches long each! They also have a number of varieties that combat drought conditions - conditions so severe that great grandpa's corn wouldn't have even produced.
Speaking of which, would anyone have guessed 40 years ago, that corn would be yielding well over 200 bushels per acre in a typical field and soybeans hitting over 80? Record is now over 160! My grandfather was happy to get 35 off of some of the highest yielding soybean fields he had!

And the records for yields keep falling, annually...

"...harvested 454 bushels per acre for at least 10 acres at his Henrico farm, again earning him the top spot in the National Corn Growers Association’s annual contest.

The association’s last record was 442 bushels per acre in 2002 on an Iowa farm."

http://www.newsadvance.com/work_it_lynch...0f31a.html

Technology is helping to produce more, with less acreage and smaller applications of fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides. GPS applications are allowing farmers to spot treat fields only as needed. No farmer wants to over use any chemical because it costs the farmer money to do so.

Rainy, I do somewhat understand the omega acids 3 and 6 I know organic milk has up to twice as much 3 and a better ballance between 3 and 6 enableing the body to better absorb both. The golden rice is great if it stops people from going blind. Was this blindness such a problem before monoculture? You don't think the worlds top soil is depleted? Yes the subsoil does contain micronutrients. Ted, most Gmo grains are dwarfed and the fact that the short stalk and short roots are controlled by the same gene was discovered by H.E. Shashidhar in India usng genetic markers. Dwarfing the stems lets the plant put more energy into the grain, producing a higher yeild. This dwarfing was the essence of the Green revolution which very well may have saved millions from starvation. Albeit whith some unintended results. I think facts on this subject pro or con are few and far between. I do know monsanto sold 8.9 billion dollars worth of seed in 2011 world wide, I would expect them to keep any negative facts to themselves. I know diversity is good. Lealani,ethanol corn is a farm subsidy scam IMO, I see edible corn mostly grown for sowage 5 feet tall used to be 9, small ears not fully kerneled planted 3 to 4 inches apart not the 1 foot that used to be the norm. yeild and nutritional value are very different. I do think this is a touchy subject for many and I do not understand it well enough even after reading volumes of research available through the freedom of info act. I choose to be on the fence and let the people who feel more confident in their position and (facts) slug it out. I in no way meant to offend any one or misslead by stating what I believed to be true. Better for me to stick to the more light hearted subjects. I will just watch this one from the sidelines. Thanks all for your time and civility