Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of job.....
where you able to bring over to the big island or did you start some new career?

I'm interested in finding out who started new career paths, who was able to transfer their job experience to the same field and who is just doing part time work and type of part time work for benefits.

Since the job market tends to be rather limited i'm interested in finding out how people have adapted to the job market there.

noel

I found out that there wasnt a big call for heating oil truck drivers before we moved over so I thought I would just kick back and enjoy life here. Well that lasted about a year and I realized that I enjoy working and helping people. I got a minimal pay job in a local hardware store and love it. I have had a chance to make friends with so many wonderful locals and enjoy helping new poeple to the island. As I said the pay sucks but the benifits to me cant be beat.

When I was moving here it was suggested to me that to make it a person generally needed three irons in the fire.....
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I left a corporate Director of Food & Beverage job in NYC to found out I was overqualified for all the jobs here. I eventually got a Director of Food & Beverage position at the Ritz-Carlton Mauna Lani and moved onto the Kona Coast Resort later on. Two years later when the resort changed ownership I was not needed anymore and since I am not the type of person who just sits at home, I took a real estate course and became an agent on a temporary basis. Two years later I became a broker and that temporary position is in its 15th year now. Smile (I still dream about the hotels at night though.)

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

I an currently Co-Owner of a High Tech Staffing agency in San Jose. When we move, I am leaving it all behind for brand new adventures. Whether it is just maintaining the property of our new digs or I explore the challenges of the "Pastry" world!
Still trying to decide.

"From knowledge comes understanding"
"From knowledge comes understanding"