Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Hilo Mexican Food
FYI:
There is a new Mexican place on Kilauea just down from the Hilo Burger Joint. Driving by and looking in the doorway it looks like the kind of take out burrito joint and tiendita I knew in Oregon. Walk up counter and shelves with Mexican food products, I didn't see any tables or counters but it was a quick look. I can't remember the name, maybe La Tierra something or or Tierra something.

Let us know if anyone tries it out.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I will try it. I love good Mexican food and I can't handle the noise in Lucy's.
When you say just down from, you mean going towards Cafe 100? Not towards Burger King? In the same row with Kawamoto's and Big Island Pizza and the Thai place?
Further towards Cafe 100, on the Kal school side. It's right on the curve, poor parking. Haven't been yet, it just opened and when I saw it I thought it was just a grocery. Now it's on the to do list for sure.
It seems so many here love Mexican food. For years I spent so much time at Hale Pohaku on Mauna Kea where the best cook there, Steve, a Mexican, actually cooked pretty decent (and I think) authentic Mexican food for all the astronomers and support staff. Wish he would open a restaurant down here because I think you'd all love his food!

Yet I still have no taste for Mexican food. I can eat it, but have to admit it's way down on my list of restaurant types to visit. I just wish someone here would open a really good Indian restaurant. That place in Kailua-Kona was OK but think it's closed now, and the Indian place/s in Hilo are, well, awful.

Oh well, one of the sacrifices of living here!
Been open a couple weeks now ... That said, you guys all go and spend as much as you can with them for support and aloha.. I really don't know how these places expect to survive. That all I'm saying.

aloha,
pog
Is it Bueno Burrito? If so, the owner used to be at a different location on Keawe. I think there is a Japanese restaurant there now.
Mi Tierra. Looked kind of quiet in there today. It looks like a little tienda -- a small grocery specializing in foods al gusto latino. Guess those kids DID make it up the cliff --and just in time!
Tom, my wife and I love good Indian food. There were some good ones in the Seattle/Tacoma area where we both are from. One of my favorites was a vegetarian Indian food place. Don't get me started. Then there was Quickies Two in Tacoma. It's a Jamaican/vegan restaurant. Fantastic food!

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP