Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is this a thing?
Birchl - My wife is Hawaiian - I am Local .
You said "Hawaiian Time " .
Island time perhaps better.
We denote via UT as time is time.
Time in the northern hemisphere is different than sub tropics or even tropics .
By saying "Hawaiian Time " it is an ethnic slur or put down,"Hawaii Time " is a place and not limited to the endemic peoples of place.
Being from British Isles as you are - you can sus it out .
Now you know.
End of subject.............
Life is a blessing
yeah we all show up early so we can eat early... Then leave early... Since leaving early we got first picks of bringing home all the leftovers... It's the hawaiian way and they really look at your funny if they have to go have empty handed.

You'll get use to it. But good thing you don't have to eat the leftovers. Tho, I suppose if you cooked up some really bad tasting food then maybe they might leave without a togo plate.

Plus if you go to a party and they offer you a togo plate and you refuse it they really get offended so always say yes...

I always arrive about a half hour late ... that way no one is rushing trying to get this or that done.

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX
Of course Mimosa flipped the conversation to something negative from a truly innocent inquiry, not surprised.

The original poster did not say "Samoan time" or "Pacific Islander time" so get off the ethnic horse please. If I said "California time" it would not be racist would it? Exactly

You are as close to scientists as our planet is to the center of our galaxy so it would be best to keep things simple and use Hawaii time because you are in fact in Hawaii which is a territory and sole property of the United States of America.

'Your whole idea about yourself is borrowed-- borrowed from those who have no idea of who they are themselves.'
'Your whole idea about yourself is borrowed-- borrowed from those who have no idea of who they are themselves.'
not to be pissy, but surely 'hawaii time' refers to however many hours its is removed from GMT? 'island time' on the other hand is an observation on a more relaxed lifestyle.? the fact that 'Hawaii time' is actually so far removed from any other kind of time/space continuum contributes greatly to the disassociation one feels. this combination then unites with the equatorial theory, and additionally the ones regarding pace of life in rural area as well as the whole Caribbean relaxation thing to produce a definitive style unique to Hawaii? there! i dare someone to take offense Smile

#10048;
#10048;
Too late

quote:
Originally posted by birchl

not to be pissy,

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
I've used the term "Hawaii time" to mean "slower pace". I'm sure I've also slipped and said "Hawaiian time" once or twice in my life. In all cases my intentions were noble. But it doesn't matter.

These kinds of invisible culture gaps can wreak havoc on communication when two cultures collide, even with the best of intentions all around. (Too often such misunderstandings are misdiagnosed as "political correctness run amok.")

Cross-cultural expert Edward T. Hall sums up the cross-cultural communication process as such:

“The essence of cross-cultural communication has more to do with releasing responses than with sending messages. It is more important to release the right response than to send the right message.”

If I accept Hall's definition, then no matter what my good intentions were, if the listener is offended then I obviously didn't get my desired result, which means I didn't effectively communicate my message.

As someone who deals with a lot of different cultures, apologizing for unintended slights isn't a big deal. In my book it's much better to show respect and get along, than to take a defensive position. I'm happy to be "wrong" if I learn a new perspective and cultivate some empathy.

In short, I really had no idea "Hawaiian Time" was offensive, but glad that I know now. So my apologies to anyone I've offended past or present, and a big mahalo to Mimosa for setting me straight!
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
of course i apologize to mimosa if i have in fact offended him, my point is that even if i have, with all resect and humility, does that mean that i am being disrespectful to ALL hawaiians in some way? or is it that mimosa is being 'easily offended'? As i was looking for explanations as to why people might be EARLY it seems odd that i am incurring disapproval for using a phrase that has unbeknown to me taken on the meaning of 'late'. additionally irrespective of how a phrase is generally used, surely one should keep actual context in consideration, not the general use. Although i appreciate that can sometimes be difficult with regards to the written word, i would not have thought my initial statement was that controversial.

#10048;
#10048;
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH...

I think it's totally rude to show up early. It's a presumption that your host is just sitting on his or her behind having finished the prep long before. The host is working to get things ready and to a standard, and coming before that happens is rude. Prep often takes a bit longer than estimated, so coming right at the time is not great either, although it also sucks if everyone shows up an hour late...

I am going to respectfully disagree. I know there is island time but also I have found that many people (having been here for 25 yrs now) want to help you get ready. It is part of the Aloha spirit as big families all help with the prep as they arrive.

I also think island style is not about every detail being "HGTV" party picture perfect. Every one helps set up. It is a lot like people being disdainful of pot lucks. Pot lucks are island style, doing all food yourself is almost an insult to my island friends as it doesnt give them a opportunity to bring what haoles (respectfully) consider the "bread and butter" gift.

I now try to get dressed a little bit early but make sure one of us is ready to go so I can say to hubby make some drinks for our guests I am jumping in the shower quick.

no argument here, totally see what you are saying. My house was never HGTV or Martha Stewart approved, but I do like to take a shower and change shortly before people come and I hate it when I'm in the shower when people show up.

But really it depends on how close I am to the people as to how I feel about it.
I would never show disdain for a potluck. Mmm, potluck.

Funny Eric about the to go plate.
I'm always late to parties but I stay and help clean up.