Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time Warner Cable fees
My bill now stands at $66 per month for high speed internet and basic cable TV, while it's easy for me to remember when it was $48 per month, so it's gone up by 50% in two years or so. Is this rip-off? Should I be thinking about cancelling and rejoining under some promotional offer? They seem to be raising it by about $2 every month.
I pay $73/mo for internet only at my Florida home, so I think $66/mo for internet + tv is a good price.

* ALOHA *
Sounds cheap. I pay $67 per month to Hawaiian Telcom for 7mb DSL and unlimited home phone.
Time Warner just raised their rental fee for a modem, if you buy your own you can save something like $8 a month. I bought mine years ago and it paid for itself in the first 9 months or so. It's not hard to set up. Amazon sells modems, check with Time Warner first for approved models.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
I pay $185 month for internet, TV and home phone through Comcast. They sent a notice in November saying they were going to raise rates. I've been with Comcast for a long time and think I pay more than enough so I called them. I spoke to their sales department, was very polite and noted that "I have been a loyal long time customer but there were some really good rates out there from other providers. I'd like to stay with them but the cost is too much. What can you do to keep my business?" They ended up lowering my rate (was approx $205) and upgrading my TV package to the highest tier - essentially every channel (was middle tier). This worked so well I did it for my parents when I was there for Christmas and it inspired me to try it with my cell provider. That went from $75/month to $45.

Long story short - doesn't sound like what they are charging you is crazy out of line but if you've been with them for some time don't hesitate to call them up and politely ask for a better deal. Worst they can say is no.
I had the same thing happen to me with Dish. Was paying 70 dollars for just TV. Been a customer for 20 years. I said I was dropping them. They sent me to a special department that handles customers leaving. They practically "gave" me a free pass for 6 months because I told them I couldn't afford it anymore. I still left because I'm not a big TV watcher anymore. Free local over the air is enough these days...
Just wait for the Comcast/TimeWarner merger and the ATT/Dish merger.

The best part is: these companies get an exclusive franchise -- they're not required to actually provide service, but they're also the only ones legally allowed to do so.
I would love that deal. I pay $120 for internet and am limited to 30GB per month. The 11 free OTA channels are better than nothing. I think there is 2 hours of the Brady Bunch on this afternoon followed by an episode of the Love Boat.
they're not required to actually provide service

Which is why nobody leaves them a tip. If your waiter or waitress at a restaurant provided you with the same service as Oceanic Time Warner...

Two most hated companies in America: Comcast and Time Warner:
http://bgr.com/2014/05/20/comcast-twc-cu...vey-study/
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
$160 a month for Internet...
$130 a month for cable...
Still at $7.00 a gallon for gas!
North Slope AK.