Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Kazumura Lava Tube
Thanks @Delta9r That trick Ka/Ku sound.

@DB - No I believe it is on the north side but it might very well run crisscross Auli'i. I was on the north side when I entered through a skylight. I also question the maps I have seen but the tube I was in was massive and goes for many many miles but could just be a branch as well.
Will the K2 lava flow just fall into these old tubes and disappear?
I think that the K2 flow is much far to the East to enter any existing branches of Kazumura.
A few years ago there was a bulldozer that fell into a portion of Kazumura, North of Auli'i. Huge opening...

"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
"Life is labor, and all that is good in life comes from that labor..."
Does anyone know of a public entry into the cave (not located on private land)?

Thank you!

CH
CH
dont know about how legal it is now as Ive seen signs now posted on the trees off hwy....
but there is a great 1.5 mile cave from the same source as all the caves coming form Kilauea Iki area (ie Kazumura etc.) that is very easy to get to in upper Puna on Hwy 11. It is directly across the hwy from Mile Marker 23 (Makai side of Hwy), and the entrance is on a narrow lot between 2 homes and about 80 yards into the thick Uluhe fern jungle from the hwy... tube is 1.5 miles of walking to the end.

Another one is called Emesine Cave and is off Saddle Rd on the old power line trail going up Mauna Loa... its from the 1881 Mauna Loa flow towards Hilo, tube is 1 mile long hike ea. way. From the Hilo side going up Saddle Rd , the trailhead to the entrance is at the 21.6 mile spot (4/10 mile before MM22), on the South side of Rd, there is a short 4X4 Rd that leads to the old Powerline Trail, then hike 2-6/10th mile up the straight trail, at that point after going through some ferns the trail descents into newer lava, after a couple hundred feet look to the right and thats the cave entrance, the correct entrance/way will go under the trail you were just on, the other side dead ends quickly... you cant get lost, it is a single tube about 1 mile ea. way

always bring 3 flashlights just in case, no fun feeling your way back over a mile in pitch black lol

PS. like someone said... there are many lava tubes that go through Hawaiian Acres and Puna in general... we have one entrance to one used for burial (19th Century) on the property behind mine that has bones in it along with a photograph of one of the mid 19th Century Hawaiian Kings (so Ive been told)... Ive seen the entrance but have not gone in yet, both of my neighbours on ea. side of me have known about it for many years and ea. had similarly described what they saw inside... they even said it was 'known' to the authorities, even though the entrance is over 800' off of any road and in the thickest waiwi/uluhe jungle you can find...

aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

dont know about how legal it is now as Ive seen signs now posted on the trees off hwy....
but there is a great 1.5 mile cave from the same source as all the caves coming form Kilauea Iki area (ie Kazumura etc.)

Much thanks friend, I am just another interested local that wishes to respectfully check out the caves awesomeness [Smile] Being Hawaiian, I also feel it imperative to leave burial areas alone. I appreciate your tip and will check it out although a mile is quite a long ways for me, I may just stick to the lighted areas only [Wink]

CH
CH
Have you been to Kaumana Caves?
For those not able to make the tour here are some fabulous photos of island caves including some on Molokai.

http://www.robratkowski.com/caving/

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

bytheSEA
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA