Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remembering Pam Lamont
It has been a year today since we lost Pam. I was just a casual acquaintance, not a close friend, but I’ve thought about her often these past months, especially in the wake of Hurricane Iselle. She surely would’ve had all manners of aide coordinated and distributed, as well as opening her home to anyone who needed shelter. She was always a welcome presence on the Punaweb Farming and Gardening forum, as well as here on Punatalk. She helped me get going with the hydroponic lettuce that I’m still growing today, and posted my pictures on Punachat (http://www.freewebs.com/punachat/apps/photos/), her answer to photos for Punaweb.

I saw Pam at that last Punaweb party at the ranch, and she looked well, but took me on a house tour that included her handicap-ready master bath, created for later, when she “needed” it. She also took me on a wild ride in her ATV to see the greenhouse and harvest some veggies, a bit unnerving, but fun.

I couldn’t make the goodbye gathering in May, and I sometimes wonder what’s become of Lamont Ranch, is it still in the family? Anyone living there? As I remember, Bob moved back to the mainland. I know the animals and farm equipment were gone shortly after Pam died but the greenhouse must still be there … empty now? And, what about all those fruit trees she planted? What became of them? I remember she seemed particularly excited about the fig tree(s), did they ever produce? It’s an unfinished story.

Pam’s time here was cut short, but she left a lasting impression me, and a huge mark on the world. She will always be remembered, and missed. Mahalo, Pam.
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Thank you for bringing Pam forward with us.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Amen! She was one in a million.

Aloha, Pam!
Thank you for the remembrance.
Pam would have been in her element helping after the storm.
I hope the fruit trees live on for her.
bob went back to dc with their son josh. they are looking in surrounding area for a place more suitable than josh's apartment. lamont ranch was returned to the bank and i believe, her good friend karen took the massive greenhouse and someone also bought the giant blimpshed and all equipment. yes the figs did produce, i think they were brown turkey figs. mike took sandy the dog, i tried to get the cat but she seemed to see things were clearing out and so she did also. pam got to live her dream of a farm in hawaii and we on the punaweb have our memories..
I loved reading Pam's stories on punaweb.

I also thought of her during the hurricane. She always was on punaweb posting that folks could evacuate to her farm, offering whatever they had.
I never met her in person, but I remember her fondly from all her posts and miss her.
Aloha Pam.
hawaiideborah
Pam was a living example of the best of us. Thanks for this rememberance thread.
Miss Pam and the good she embodied, especially the Punaweb gathering.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Never met Pam but sure miss her on Punaweb and her always cheerful, encouraging stories and all her Aloha spirit. She certainly was a gem! Thanks for the reminder!
Again; for Pam - it is how We remember her and how We remember how she lived:

"Desiderata"

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927"

Mahalo for our "Scuba Sundays"! ALOHA PAM!