Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Several Videos of the Lava Flow - Up Close
OMG! My son just sent me this to watch. If you have Facebook (I don't, but can read/watch only), take a look at these:

https://www.facebook.com/Epiclavatours

This is great footage, however, YIKES! No go too close, brah (aka "Jungle King Hawaii" Gotta love it).

[:0][:0][:0]

(lol....I'm waiting for that little "explosion" behind someone. We used to jump when we were keiki! Our kupuna didn't even blink.)

JMO.

P.S. Wish I knew how to share for those who don't have the Facebook thingy. If anyone knows how to do that kinda stuff, please do, and "tanks ah". Here's a "promotion" on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFQaGV8y5_k&feature=youtu.be

ETA: YouTube Link
Great that they are posting all those fabulous pictures and videos. They have a youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2dqcNg..._as=public

But it doesn't have the footage of JungleKingHawaii going down into the crack.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Just great. A "commercial" of people illegally going into the forest preserve, to try and sell illegal lava tours?
These are the best updates that I've been able to find so far. I'm glad that the nags haven't stepped in to point out how that making these videos is dangerous, unethical, possibly illegal... or whatever. Ah, it reminds me of my youth and how some of us took chances to witness Madam Pele at work and on Her terms. We proceeded on faith and witnessed some astonishing events.

I have friends in Kaohe Homesteads and I really do welcome some up to date info.

Disclaimer: of course you shouldn't go visit the flow. It's dangerous, I don't recommend it and .... don't blame me.
Well, that's much cheaper than a Dolphin-tormenting tour at Waikoloa isn't it?
I'm going to turn that video into a drinking game and every time someone says "Epic" you have to take a shot...beat it up.
This is dangerous and wrong for tourists. It's one thing for locals to venture out but another to charge $160 and take such risks. Who pays for the rescue helicopter etc? These guys epic tours should be detained and fined.
If they are advertising mud covered legs, I think I know the trail they take. It's definitely the long way and takes you a bit too close to Pu'u'o'o itself. Proximity to the vent is the main danger as it's spewing out hundreds of tons of sulphur dioxide a day. Get within 1km and the wind shifts and you are in trouble. Fortunately, the lava field has cleared the forest more than 1km from the vent so I suppose if you hugged the tree line you'd be fairly safe, especially if you watched the winds carefully. If they are taking a trail from the Pahoa side, the danger level is much lower.

Really, though, it's great to have access to the photos and videos these guys are posting. It provides us with a much clearer picture of what's happening out there.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike