Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna geothermal plant
Seems relevant that Pu'u O'o (not to mention the rest of Kilauea's east rift zone and other vents) probably puts out more of the noxious gases concerned in a single hour than the geothermal plant does in a year. Add to that all the gases we vent from our tailpipes and conventional powerplants, and Puna Geothermal looks pretty fine to me. Surely the technical nature of the process has been refined since the days of the blowouts, and new facilities could be even more reliable.

Personally, I see little percentage in perpetuating our dependence on climate-changing fossil fuels that can no longer be aqquired from wholly friendly sources. A plug-in electric car would be great from what I've been reading, and the kids might have a world in which they won't feel disgust for the old folks who left them with nothing but scorched earth.

From what I have read every geothermal site in the world is unique and different. As such anytime geothemal is developed it is an R&D effort.

I have hopes that Puna Geothemal has learned how to work the site safely and successfully.

I know that other Califonria geothemal sites had problems too.... I believe that, over time and with the diligent oversight of neighbors the problems were eventually solved.

It would be nice to think we in Puna had a unique and generous friend in Pele and if treated with respect she might share her energy with us.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Cat, I did not realize that it got sold ... perhaps that accounts for an improved safety record.

seekir wrote
quote:
Pu'u O'o (not to mention the rest of Kilauea's east rift zone and other vents) probably puts out more of the noxious gases concerned in a single hour than the geothermal plant does in a year.

well, no, because Pu`u O`o primarily puts out sulfur dioxide, which causes respiratory issues, and the concern with geothermal is hydrogen sulfide, which is neurotoxic.

Also, Pu`u O`o is not separated from a residential subdivision (Lanipuna Gardens) by a fence.

In event of an accident PGV could put out a lethal cloud of hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen sulfide kills.

When the volcano began emitting above acceptable levels of hydrogen sulfide in the main park (in June, when the eruption shifted) -- that was when they closed the park for a day or so.

It is not in question that hydrogen sulfide is very dangerous when it gets above a certain parts per million level. What is still debated is whether hydrogen sulfide at lower (allowable) levels can be injurious when the exposure is chronic. i.e., is there a cumulative effect?

I guess I do feel better about this business knowing that the old management is history (thanks Cat!).

It still makes me nervous, with Kilauea acting unpredictably, as to what would happen if magma intruded into that area. The well(s) is after all drilled directly into the rift.

In addition, this project was scaled back from its original ambitions. At least one well was ordered capped and expanding was blocked. There was a lawsuit filed against the company, and they were blocked from expanding into the forest reserve.

I like that it was scaled back, thanks to community activism.

Edited by - KathyH on 10/24/2007 16:23:59
During the past few years I have done some small work for puna geothermal, drilling 100' holes for siesmic testing and seismograph installation. They seemed like they had things under control. I feel confident that it is safe. Just my feeling from being there and dealing with them.

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
It is interesting to note: Ormat Tech (new owners of PGV) produce up 30 MW electricity, more than any of the 3 hydropower plants on the Wailuku, and
more than the Pakini Nui Wind Farms 14 GE turbines (21 MW total - these turbines came on line 5+ mos. ago, Much of the problem with the wind power is the DISTANCE of the lines...electrical lines are NOT totally efficient...)
Another thing to think about, given that up to 90% of this islands electricity is from petroleum, consider emission OFFSETS. If you are on grid, consider a solar lease program (there are now a couple of them on island...
BUT even the best laid plans have faults, right now most island electricity CONSUMPTION in the early evening hours.... HELCO must have the generating capacity to meet the highest demand (the evening hour demand). It does not pay for them to install generation capacity that is not available for peak demand....
Think about the peak demand hours...Who is using this electricity? Much of it is 'home consumers', so everything you do, and all of your neighbors do, to reduce your evening electricity consumption increase the ability of HELCO to cut the petroleum ties.
World wires info on PGV, with some emissions data (HS is not the main emission, nor the only one....)http://www.world-wire.com/news/0706070001.html
(Had the emissions chart, but not now...)
This is the Ormat Techs PGV 5 link to the 5-min hazard emission monitoring site:
http://www.punageothermalventure.com/PGV...monitoring
HVO's graph of volcanic emissions (including HS & HF)
http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/What/V...olgas.html

Edited by - carey on 10/24/2007 22:55:25
Interesting sites. I'm about 4.6 miles from Pu'u O'o, and when the stinky south wind blows, we know it here in FF. When the normal trades are in force everyone in Ka'u and Kona is getting a pretty potent mix as well. I'm unaware of any significant differences in the composition of the emissions from the Geothermal plant and naturally vented volcanic gases here - their origin is the same rift. Notably, according to the site Carey's linked, all gases are reinjected at PGV, which they assert thus produces zero emissions. As to the possibility of eruptions being triggerred by the wells, I have to say the idea that a small shaft could rival the rest of the rift zone's fissures and weaknesses as a possible eruption site doesn't seem sensible to me. However, everything along the rift zone is at Pele's mercy, and an expanded (and expensive) plant built on the rift zone could be lost in an inconvenient eruption like the one I watched swallow Kapoho in '59. Amazing how quickly the memories of east rift zone eruptions seem to disappear in the Albezias (and the spiels of realtors selling "a piece of paradise"Wink. Still, I'd rather the community assume the burden of potential damage to an expanded PGV than perpetuate the (IMO) clearly understood dangers of oil dependency.

i've lived right there in lanipuna gardens and it's the pits, i've been involved over a decade in trying to shut the plant down, there's been too many "incidents" at the plant for anyone to deme it safe. i can't tell you how many times my apartment was full of h2s so much so you could see the cloud around the house at night. i've lived in nanawale as leilani to and i didn't realize how much i'd been affected by the plant until i moved to hilo and could breathe better.
that plant should not be in the middle of a residential area, it's an accident waiting to happen.

nanawale hale
nanawale hale