Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava flow, Air quality, livability
I have a friend who has lived in Volcano Village for maybe twenty years, who loves the community. However, he says the vog has been bad for him, since the summit vent opened up.

Definitely the wind direction is everything. In winter, the trades tend to stall, at least that is when we get vog in Hilo and Hamakua. I can't recall getting vog this summer, but I'm somewhat concerned about this winter. My eyes are burning and itching this week, although the air smells fine and looks fine. Not sure what is up, don't see mangos blooming. Have to wonder if the burning is causing this. It's the worst my eyes/allergies have been since I've lived here.

Kathy
The Vog from Halemaumau , during the dominant trade winds is highly diluted by the time it gets to populated areas; same with the gasses from PuuOoo. When the trades stall, the vog will go with whatever winds are happening. Just guessing, I would say the trades are blowing 85-90% of the time. When Halemaumau opened up the vog mauka decreased significantly, but picked up in Pahala, all of Kau and Kona.
quote:
Originally posted by DoryGray

I like negative ion generators. Low power consumption & you don't have to shut the windows like w/ dehumidifiers.

Why do you like them? For what type of air pollutants? Do they work on the vog? I'm awaiting delivery of one from Amazon, an electrostatic ionizer(ozone). The tech support guy from Belfore, toxic clean up company in Hilo suggested I get an ozone purifier.
Overall the air quality has stayed pretty good down here. Once a few weeks ago you could smell the burning but overall we havent noticed it much so far.