Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toad
quote:
Originally posted by steve1

Tie off end and toss in freezer.
this is exactly why I have a No Toads graphic taped to my freezer door. Not that guys in my family pay attention to signs.

HOTPE, good idea about the red tailed squirrels.
We could have red-headed toads. [8D]

Kathy
Different perspective on coquis!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/c...884111.php
True Dat. Coquis belong in Puerto Rico, not Hawaii. It's a shame we can't sell them back since they seem to do so well here, and it's ironic that one of the only places where amphibians are doing well under the new paradigm of increased UV rays and Global Climate Change is where they are considered a pest.

But they don't belong here. Coquis are a not native pest in Hawaii just like Albizia, Strawberry guava, rats, cats, mongoose, cane toads, little fireant, African tulip tree, African snails, etc.

Non-native invasive pests did not co-evolve in the new environs where they are considered a pest and frequently lack adequate bio-controls to keep their populations in check. Additionally, what usually makes them invasive is that they displace ecological niches of creatures which did co-evolve in place and threaten their survival.
PaulW-
Thanks for posting the coqui article:
The zoo is involved with many partnerships to save the coqui...out of the known species, three are extinct.

After reading that article I immediately went to check my yard, and believe I've found at least two, if not all three extinct species. It took some time as I had to look through almost 10,000 frogs. And that's not as easy as it sounds, so to speak, as during daylight hours it's hear no evil time.

But I couldn't wait, because I wanted to apply for funding with the San Antonio Zoo, the University of Puerto Rico, and any other entity willing to spend $20,000 on a shelf, a few plastic one gallon commercial bio-mayonaise jar habitats, and watering "system" for 30 or 40 not-even-endangered coqui.

I also plan to create GMO bufo-coqui troggs in my secret laboratory. They'll be coquis the size of bufos with the proportional increased volume to their mating call, estimated to pin out the VU needle at approximately 6700 decibels. These troggs will not be released into the wild, but made available to anyone who has an unresolved issue with their government representatives at the county building, as well as tax assessment appeals. *

If you think the Planning Department, or Finance Department, or County Council hasn't heard a word you've said, place one trogg on table or counter top, and NOW you've got their attention.

CAUTION: Side effects include uncontrolled shaking, flying glass, seismographic and car alarm triggering, and temporary deafness, or more.

ko-KEEEEEE

*Not effective on USDA Animal & Plant Quarantine Inspectors at this time, as they will be unable to see or hear troggs until almost 12 years after their first introduction to the Big Island.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Wonder how far three jumps would get. Could make a lot of money.

Community begins with Aloha
Non native species will indeed co-evolve. It just takes a little longer than we are accustomed to waiting. Like, maybe 10,000 years.

Those toads... takes me back to Nam. Sometimes when we'd run out of Panama Red and Thai Stix a squirmy bag of cane toads was just what the doctor ordered. There was a little "friendly" who used to ride by on a moped from time to time. Called her the "Toad Girl." We'd all reach into that bag and sit around the table like a bunch of kids, each with his own ice cream cone, only, these were toads instead. We'd all take a lick at our respective toad and be zonked out of our gourds for what seemed like an eternity. Not that I'm advising it... just saying... it really happened.

X
X
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

PaulW-
Thanks for posting the coqui article:
The zoo is involved with many partnerships to save the coqui...out of the known species, three are extinct.

After reading that article I immediately went to check my yard, and believe I've found at least two, if not all three extinct species. It took some time as I had to look through almost 10,000 frogs. And that's not as easy as it sounds, so to speak, as during daylight hours it's hear no evil time.

But I couldn't wait, because I wanted to apply for funding with the San Antonio Zoo, the University of Puerto Rico, and any other entity willing to spend $20,000 on a shelf, a few plastic one gallon commercial bio-mayonaise jar habitats, and watering "system" for 30 or 40 not-even-endangered coqui.

I also plan to create GMO bufo-coqui troggs in my secret laboratory. They'll be coquis the size of bufos with the proportional increased volume to their mating call, estimated to pin out the VU needle at approximately 6700 decibels. These troggs will not be released into the wild, but made available to anyone who has an unresolved issue with their government representatives at the county building, as well as tax assessment appeals. *

If you think the Planning Department, or Finance Department, or County Council hasn't heard a word you've said, place one trogg on table or counter top, and NOW you've got their attention.

CAUTION: Side effects include uncontrolled shaking, flying glass, seismographic and car alarm triggering, and temporary deafness, or more.

ko-KEEEEEE

*Not effective on USDA Animal & Plant Quarantine Inspectors at this time, as they will be unable to see or hear troggs until almost 12 years after their first introduction to the Big Island.

Thanks for the laugh! Loved it! (even if coffee came out of my nose!)

Best wishes
Best wishes