Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wind in Hawaiian acres
My sister bought land in HA a couple years back and is getting ready to build. I've lived on Kohala mtn most of my life and am quite familiar with the winds of this mountain. however, I am clueless about puna winds. my questions are: what are the normal /predominate winds in that area? do you get downslope winds from the mountains? how strong? etc. her lot is about midway on 5 road between E & F. she is actually one of the highest mauka lots on that road. good for lightening strikes I've been told. Ha! So maybe more windy too? mainly we are trying to determine good house orientation and what fruit trees she can plant. As well as how or if the wind coming from the lava flow will affect her.
mahalo nui!
Trade winds are usually the predominant winds. Usually they are not quite strong enough for most traditional wind generators. If Kona winds start to blow it can get fairly still.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Trades most of the time; we sometimes get gentle evening/night winds off the mountain--sometimes that brings the smell of vog. We keep windows on that side of the house open pretty much all the time, without rain blowing in.

Winds do seem to blow from any direction, though, and we occasionally get smoke from the June 27 flow.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >(>