Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna Lava Migration Impacts Housing
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...uestioned/
Lawmakers began meeting with state department heads to identify priorities heading into the upcoming session.

Discussion on housing projects in Puna and Hilo and DOE issues. Well worth a watch and mirrors much of the discussion here (migration, rentals, development, drive to Hilo etc)
This is going to be a growing issue for the county, affordable housing, doubt the state will do much beyond giving it lip service. There are much bigger affordable housing issues on Oahu. Abercrombie authorized the Riverside project almost 2 years ago and it is only now being started. Some people are fixated on saying everything will be just fine but thick, stationary vog clouds are going to force a large proportion to move elsewhere. These are interesting times, being in the front row of yet another human migration forced by a volcano. This is where the big increase in south Puna population the past few years hits the fan. There are no affordable rentals around Hilotown now, there are still several on Kona side. Some people are going that route. The old advice that used to be standard here, "rent first while looking" changes when there are no rentals. Now the rental rate inflation begins.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
This is going to be a growing issue for the county

Bill 4 was intended to mitigate some of this ... but as written, it does little for Puna.
If you talk to anyone who lives in Puna and works in Hilo, they will probably tell you how much worse the VOG and smoke are in Hilo right now. That may change if we get good trade winds back, but as it stands now, the worst of it blows straight into Hilo, especially the neighborhoods up mauka like Kaumnana, it just piles up against the hills there. I think Hilo may be good as far as avoiding getting stuck behind a wall of lava, but if you are looking for escape from VOG and smoke Hilo is not going to be the place to go. Ka'u is going to be the new Puna, people looking for affordable Paradise are going to buy in HOVE and Ranchos, the realtors there are already using "affordable Paradise" in their advertising.
Realtors are recommending HOVE and Ranchos? Two subdivisions that are nothing but raw lava, because the last eruption was so recent?

I think Carey said it best a few months ago in a discussion about Mauna Loa (the event she described below occurred slightly north of HOVE):

The SW rift of Mauna Loa opened up in a fissure eruption from 8,000 to 13,000 feet like a zipper, or a fissure eruption 12 miles long opening up almost simultaneously...in the middle of the night - with none of the ML trademark earthquake swarms!

This eruption was fast, starting around 9pm & making it to HWY 11 by midnight, and the ocean 35 minutes later, and by morning had bisected HWY11 in 2 separate locations, isolating the community of Ho`okena...which had just barely enough time to all evaculate...

http://www.punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20061&SearchTerms=mauna,loa,fissure
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Realtors are recommending HOVE and Ranchos? Two subdivisions that are nothing but raw lava, because the last eruption was so recent?

I think Carey said it best a few months ago in a discussion about Mauna Loa (the event she described below occurred slightly north of HOVE):

The SW rift of Mauna Loa opened up in a fissure eruption from 8,000 to 13,000 feet like a zipper, or a fissure eruption 12 miles long opening up almost simultaneously...in the middle of the night - with none of the ML trademark earthquake swarms!

This eruption was fast, starting around 9pm & making it to HWY 11 by midnight, and the ocean 35 minutes later, and by morning had bisected HWY11 in 2 separate locations, isolating the community of Ho`okena...which had just barely enough time to all evaculate...

http://www.punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20061&SearchTerms=mauna,loa,fissure

Hey, I'm not defending the practice, just reporting what I've seen. Craigslist's real estate listing have suddenly had an influx of Ka'u listings with much higher prices than before this lava flow in Puna headed towards Pahoa. I see the same boilerplate I used to see for lots in lower Puna for Ka'u ads now.
Ads like these? Wink
One-acre lots: $995–only $100 down and $15 a month, plus 6% interest on the unpaid balance. Given away as a prize to ABC-TV’s Queen For A Day, plus a trip to visit the place...
http://www.kycbs.net/PunaConnection.htm