Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fat Tuesday - Malasadas
Where is your favorite place to get them?
I am spoiled by the standard set by Leonards's and Agnes Portuguese Bake Shop. Inconveniently, both are both on Oahu. My wife and I sought out Tex Drive In for their malasadas. Internet is full of rave reviews. Maybe just us but from the first bite we knew something was wrong. It was a slightly fried ball of cake. No chewy texture, a bland flavor and lacking the crunchy outside. Sorry to be so negative. I look forward to more positive replies. We frequent Pohoiki and yesterday (a holiday) a vendor had home made malasadas. Anyone try them?
This past Sunday at the Portuguese Festival at Carvalho Park in Hilo, the malasadas sold out by 10:00am. Oh well, we enjoyed the free bean soup and stone-oven baked bread.

Not impressed with Crivello's malasadas on Kaumana Drive above Hilo but I did like the ones at Cooper Center in Volcano on Sundays. Haven't been out to Cooper for a few years so I'm not sure if they still fry those delightful things.
"...but I did like the ones at Cooper Center in Volcano on Sundays."

ah-ha! i can definitely vouch for the down-home local goodness of this source. good friends too, and not just to score the extra take home bag.

unfortunately after a good stretch of years they have retired from the weekly routine. still might find them here and there on occasion if you keep your eyes open.