Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tethered cell phone internet access
Is anyone or has anyone used a tethered cell phone internet access?

The way that I understand that it works is that you have a Bluetooth USB adapter plugged into your computer and a bluetooth equipped cell phone.
You set them up to connect with each other (there is some software required) and pay a $60 per month access fee to AT&T. This is just an add on monthly service charge with no extended committment.

I've done it. I just got a new motorola Cell phone (one of the Razr models), and I tether it to my laptop using the mini-usb connector(the same one I use to connect my digi camera to my computer). I had to get motorola phone tools software, and as far as I understand it, my 19.99/month media package is enough to get me unlimited internet.

AT&T doesn't work as well as Verizon, though. Oahu/Honolulu is the only island that has AT&T's upgraded 3G data network. Here on the Big Island we only get the EDGE network, which is pretty slow if you don't have full bars.

"It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you"
We've used Verizon's wireless broadband card for almost 2 years, and just got an upgrade to the USB one. Happily, it now gives us Rev A speeds! needless to say, we were very happy campers when the sales person said that he knew for sure that the Pahoa tower had been upgraded.

The USB device just plugs into the computer and doesn't have anything to do with our cell phones. The fee is $59.99 a month for nearly unlimited minutes.

Yeah, those Verizon USB modems are really good. My parents have them, and when they hosted us during their stay on Molokai I was able to use their laptop to remote into my job in an area where I had absolutely no signal from AT&T. Even their Verizon phones had at best 1 bar, and still the wireless internet was working. It was slow, but it worked!

I plugged a couple of CSC modules (cambell's soup cans) with a 100ft BAS connector (Ball of String), and got excellent results for short distances.