Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remembering Tutu
It was on this day we lost my Tutu. The year she left us was on Mother's Day. So appropriate. My Tutu was from Puna (specifically, Ola'a, Opihikao, Kaimu) and was the "backbone of steel" for our ohana. Her essence was of Pele, her name was given of Pele. I miss her so.

We should all have someone like my Tutu, if not immediate Grandmother, but someone who emulates the revered position. I'm hoping all of you have/had a "Tutu" in your life.

When I was a child, she would braid my hair before going to work, because she didn't want it getting caught in any machines (working the papaya fields). She would make us make our bed every morning, and when we were pau, served us hot water and condensed milk over "craka", Saloon Pilot for breakfast. She would massage my fingers to "make them long", and stroke my forehead until I fell asleep. Her mana was indescribable. The loving private moments with my Tutu will forever be engrained in my head.

Her ever stern face was the norm. When she smiled, you know she was happy, as Papa wanted her to be. After 52 years of marriage to my Papa, he left her to go to the next plane. It was those years after Papa died, we carried my Tutu until her death, as she had carried us all our lives. God bless my Tutu.

Mahalo for your indulgence, it is just a very trying time, and I miss her so much.

Leaving you with one of her favorites, well, two....Mahalo ke Akua for my Tutu. Aloha wau i'a o'e (love you), Tutu.

Ola'a Beauty (Which she was...[Smile])

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9B66218mH4

Ekolu Mea Nui - Three great things on earth; Faith, Hope, and Love. The greatest is love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmsFI7hjHaM

Aloha ahiahi to all.

JMO.

ETA: for clarity, and remembered one more thought. E kala mai.

Aloha Opihikao,

Mahalo for sharing this, choking up as I type ...

I neva'

But trying now everyday for what I missed to my little guy.

got my own songs on tonight !

aloha,
pog
"Mahalo for your indulgence, it is just a very trying time, and I miss her so much."

No indulgence required, Opihikao (I'm going to have to start calling you "Mrs Opihikao" one day!).Family is everything. Never had the chance to meet my own grandparents, but my mother and father made up for that!
What a blessing for sharing....thank you.

Best wishes
Best wishes
Mahalo for sharing, Opihikao. I often take time to pause and think of my Tutu, and the rest of Ohana that have travelled on to their next destination in their journey. Tutu taught me respect for the land, find a way to re purpose as much as you can (her way of "recycling"), and treat everyone kindly, and take each day as a blessing from above. I miss her words and teachings to this day, thirty some odd years later. I now realize it is my turn now to the "newcomers" in my Ohana, as I to, have moved up in the chain of life, as I call it, to share the wisdom of my Kupuna that they have passed down to me. Mahalo!

Community begins with Aloha
I understand loss and know what you mean about how you remember those special people in your life after they are gone. I have personally lost a husband, father, teacher and my only son. In that order. I have known crushing sorrow, but yet such Love and such good memories of them all. They all hold a permanent place in my heart. A piece of them will always be with you and vice versa. They watch over you from the other side, and there is great comfort in that---
HUGS
Mahalo all, and my heartfelt aloha to all of you who have felt such incredible loss, yet gained so much from our loved ones.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going! [Smile]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIxUKbV0UEM

IMUA kakou! Have a lovely day...

JMO.
Thank you for sharing opihikao. Emotions are strong stuff eh? Though I sense for your telling that you know the blessings of both the cherished years, and the passing. The mystery of life in all it's facets. God Bless you and all of yours.
E'o mai, dakine. Yes, emotions and feelings are strong, and necessary for grounding.

Mahalo ke Akua for kupuna who kept us "grounded" (in most ways, who also providing great education in the best schools available in our time).

May we all recall the basics of being a decent, good, and kind soul in this life. (Still have rose colored glassed on...[8D])

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high, we shall all meet again. Or, so I hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26BvHOD_sg

Best wishes, warm aloha, with heavens blessings, to you and your ohana, dakine.

JMO.