Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Socially-Disadvantaged Groups Grant
I thought someone in the Puna area might be interested in looking into this USDA Grant program:

Who may apply for this program?
Cooperatives and Cooperative Development Centers are eligible to apply for this program.

How may funds be used?
Grant funds must be used to provide technical assistance to socially-disadvantaged groups in rural areas. Examples of technical assistance are:

Feasibility studies
Business plans
Strategic planning
Leadership training

Note that the cooperative or Center can be located in any area, but the groups assisted must be located in an eligible rural area.

Program Funding: $3 million
Maximum Grant Amount: $175,000
http://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-services...oups-grant
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There are a very few already-in-place Cooperative Development Centers and Cooperatives on island & in state

If a group is interested, and does not yet have their DUNS & SAM, time is tight for this funding cycle...but if you do have those, the deadline for this grant is July 20...

The listed Cooperative Development Centers are ( http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/RD%20Cooper...150121.pdf)
Hawaii
The Kohala Center
Democracy at Work Institute

from their directory: http://www.rd.usda.gov/files/publication...atives.pdf

Here are the current Hawaii listed USDA rural farmer/fishery/rancher cooperatives:
HAWAII :
Hawaii Cattle Producers Cooperative Association.
Hawaii Guava Growers Cooperative
Hikiola Cooperative .
Kamuela Vacuum Cooling Cooperative Ltd.
Kona Producers Cooperative..
Maui Cooperative Fishing Association
Maui Farmers Cooperative Exchange .
Moloka'i Ice House, Inc
Great information, HOTPE & Carey, thank you both. My niece thanks you, as I sent her this link, and already USDA is helping her plan her AG business in Puna. She contacted them prior, however, there are several grants to choose from, and the more information available, the better.

Mahalo plenty.

JMO.

ETA: typo
More taxpayer money down the rat-hole. Three Million Dollars for Feasibility Studies, Plans, Planning and Training. More like another opportunity for Fraud, Waste and Abuse.
Three Million Dollars for Feasibility Studies, Plans, Planning and Training.

Hilo Medical Center plans to waste another $2M trying to keep doctors on the island.

Hilo Medical Center plans to waste another $2M trying to keep doctors on the island.

ObamaCare to blame for that.
Ya, planning and training is a total waste of money, better to go off untrained and without any plans!

I have worked on grants with the USDA RC&D.... these are for things link farmer initiative coops across the country. Training is vital to keeping farm coops going these days (& is one of the main reasons to HAVE these coops!).
ObamaCare to blame for that.

The ACA which passed is not the true ObamaCare we were promised.
More taxpayer money down the rat-hole.

Some government funded programs certainly have waste, but many have a positive impact on the lives of people we meet every day.

It we get rid of all funding because some unscrupulous people occasionally take advantage of government programs, or poorly manage programs they operate with grant money, we would have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Bad teacher? Shut down the schools.
Drunk person at the park? Close it.
"That one guy I saw" bought lobster with his EBT Card, let all the keiki go hungry.
Overruns on a military project? Close Pearl Harbor, Hickam, Schofield, Bellows, Pohakuloa... (and all the businesses that provide support services and cater to soldiers when they are off duty)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE:
Thank you for some perspective.