Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Ant Removal
They didn't use a strong enough mix..

This ain't rocket surgery..but I can see how the 'state boys' would say ...."well, were not really sure.. Maybe another years budget would help us a little further..(for science)". Bah!!

I know what works.. I've done it.

Once everybody learns that its more about profit and not knowledge or moving forward ... We can take steps to move forward ourselves.

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of life....
Please post your recipe, so that we can try it.
Cup of cheap Borax( available in any grocery store in the laundry soap area.) One cup per quart ( at least)
Put in a pump up garden sprayer and spray any ants you see.

What happens is... They take their wet self home and their kin folk say ... " oh you brought water, thank you..

They drink it...and borax which is a type of salt, basically dehydrates them. ( or something like that)
So.. If you see a line going up a tree or wherever
Give em a good 'washing'.

I have yet to see a bug that didn't fall to borax...
Ants, cockroaches, etc.

Work..Consume...Obey - There's your meaning of lif.e....
quote:
Originally posted by alaskyn66

Cup of cheap Borax( available in any grocery store in the laundry soap area.) One cup per quart ( at least)
Put in a pump up garden sprayer and spray any ants you see....

and there is the problem for me. Cant see them. Only feel bites.

But I am going to try your method, in addition to having KFA do his thing.
Just updated my connection w/this discussion and wanted to add: the reason I put the Amdro/p-butter mixture in the PVC pipe w/a cork in one end is to protect the bait from the rain (successful in that) and to be able to place them off the ground so all the other critters in my yard don't get poisoned. And my pipes were covered in the ants within 15 minutes just before dark (7:15 p.m.) when I did this on Friday.
Also I don't do every tree and I only need to repeat this process about every 2 months or so. Then my pets and I can spend time outdoors in my yard sans ant bites.
To keep ants out of the home try cinnamon essential oil. Drop on a q tip and run along window seals. This disrupts the ant pheromone and they will steer clear. Peppermint is supposed to work not only for ants but rats too. Worse case your house will smell nice. You can use the essential oil full strength on the windows seals just draw a line with a drop on the qtip. Reapply every couple of weeks. I actually put cinnamon powder in my window seals and it lasts a long time (just looks dirty).

For kitchen counters mix 1% of either essential oil with 99% water wear gloves and spray and wipe.

This along with borax I don't have bugs in my house. LFA are not a problem up here in the Volcano area yet.

For those who like science (don't we all) here is a 2014 study with promising results with cinnamon essential oil
http://www.ijsrp.org/research-paper-0714...p31106.pdf
Hi Terra
U must bait every 4-6 weeks for months to control the LFA's. They are very similar to other red ants so If you still have them u might want to bring a sample into the Master gardeners office
m-t -f 9 am to noon ( Dead in a container with alcohol please)For us to identify.

The LFA's are here to stay. Several different systems to temporarily kill them,mainly the queen.

It will have to be a forever task and having neighbors help is the key
aloha

http://www.littlefireants.com/

Dan Dolaptchieff

HPP