Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
local cheap in/outbound voip phone service
Trying to set up an inexpensive local (Hilo) VOIP but can't seem to get a connection and wonder if anyone else figured this out?

iPhone went through the laundry. Since I never needed anything on the expensive smartphone plan and all my dialing had been done around the house, I went for a < $2/month VOIP phone line with a local 808-491-xxxx Hilo number from "voip.ms" routed through seattle.voip.ms (fastest ping) using a softphone and set up an account.

I tried a few different voip softphone apps including one called "Zoiper" for iOS but nothing connects for either inbound or outbound dialing so I figured it was the Exeede but I checked and Exeede satellite doesn't seem to restrict voip so I'm not sure what to do. The account successfully registers with the softphone but I can never connect (outbound dial).

Has anyone got a low budget local phone successfully working?

Mahalo!

aloha
aloha
Did you get a SIP #? You have to program that SIP into your phone after you register for a SIP. I did it once on an android phone. That was a long time ago. Most of the these "free" VOIP, only is free if you call others that are doing the same as you. If you get a regular call from grandma on a cell or landline you'll pay.

I don't care what your ping rate is or how fast they think they can cut your ping rate down... you'll still have a delay.

You should try OOMA or look into it... No monthly charge after you buy the hardware. Also, I use to be a Magic Jack user for a long time... But there is a monthly fee plus the cost of hardware. I've been told that if you can find the old style of magic jack, people have been modding them to work with google voice.

Another option? 15 bucks a month all you can talk... Go to wall mart and buy a homephone that uses their cell service (straight talk). Good, you just plug in your cordless phone and start dialing and talking like a normal phone... Bad, you can not take it with you. I just gave up this service. since now, I got on cricket 35 bucks plan for all you can text and talk... Plus 3 gigs lte 4g Data. I don't really use the data but comes in handy when on the road and want to check email or whatever.

republic wireless I am told offers unlimited text/talk for 10 bucks a month. and wifi for data. I am probably going to look into this next. But, reason why I went with cricket is it uses ATT service. The new tower that got installed next to me is ATT and I get full bars and LTE 4G service in case roadrunner goes down. Out on this rock, you gotta know what is available and reliable. Not sure I wanna invest in another cheap roll the dice service that may not work that well out here. Verizon and T-mobile lucky to get 2 bars, sometimes get's cut off in my area.

Good Luck finding something that works for you!
Mahalos for the reply.

It doesn't say it anywhere on voip.ms, but Hawaii is considered "international" so all I had to do to fix this was set to allow international calls.

Now that it is all set up and working it seems like I can finally ditch all but one of the expensive Verizon/Att connections.

aloha
aloha