Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Electric proposes increase solar fees
What greed? They have to earn enough to make it worth their while, just like any other business on earth. Given what I posted above, where is the income supposed to come from when they need to keep turbines rolling all day producing minimal power, with no revenue coming in, just so customers who have not chosen to provide for themselves otherwise but who nevertheless feel free to call them crooks aren't inconvenienced when the sun goes behind a cloud? What would make sense would be to provide service at an interruptable rate, perhaps with dramatic time of use charges, to make it so they don't have to have so much rolling reserve.
This is what happens when a monopoly has no competition. They go for maximum profit. No incentive to invest in the future.
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

....Now, that the HELCO rate is 16 cents per kilowatt-hour, that break-even period is 20 to 30 years. Many panels have an operating life of just over 20 years.

So, speaking of intellectually challenged, where do you make these numbers up???? I have NEVER seen a rate with HELCO at 16 cents. I thought, hmmm, maybe I'm just "special" and pay a higher rate so I just called HELCO to ask them what their residential rates are and the lady said about .43 cents a kilowatt.

So I definitely agree with "There are so many misconceptions and zealotry misinformation when it comes to solar panels. To most uneducated people...."
16 cents per kwh may be the wholesale rate.
That's not how PahoaTed is presenting his argument. He is stating that HELCO is only charging consumers 16 cents a kilowatt.

Even it he "meant" to say wholesale rate his numbers are still screwed up as that is NOT the rate that they are charging even though he specifically states "...Now, that the HELCO rate is 16 cents per kilowatt-hour..." which is simply not true.

It might be their proposed rate but it appears he is making stuff up as he types to try to further his argument. I'm sure it all makes sense in someone's head.
quote:
Originally posted by flyingsurfer

This is what happens when a monopoly has no competition. They go for maximum profit. No incentive to invest in the future.

Utilities should have never been privately held. Just a pure self preservationist concept. Yes I know gov. is run by fools. But those fools have term limits.